You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unable to Install MSFS to (D:) HD

Matthew Kemp

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I only have a 128 Gb SSD, therefore I do not have enough space to install MSFS on this drive, so I've been trying to install it on my 1 Tb hard drive. I've got a copy of the game through the MS store, however when I try to install the game through the store, I do not have the option to install to the HD (D:). The MS store only allows install to my SSD or recovery drive, neither of which have enough space to MSFS.

I've always had the  "Change where new content is saved" under More storage settings selected as (D:) and I've tried renaming WindowsApps in (D:) drive to WindowsApps.old and restarted my computer but this did not give me the option to install to (D:) either. 

Does anyone have any other ideas?

spacer.png

James Drake
Posted
Posted

The Microsoft Store only installs the launcher, which is pretty small. I don't know if you can change the location of that. Once the launcher is installed, you will be able to open it and install the sim to whatever location you would like.

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

From at the install guide posted (https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015760620-Download-Installation-guides), shortly after the "Select 'Install'" step, it asks me to "Follow the install process". From the drop down in the image provided, you can see that the option of the (D:) is selected. However, when I try to do this, I am only given the option for the (C:) or (E:), both of which are too small. Therefore for me, the "Free Up Space" button is clickable and the "Install" button is greyed out (Opposite to the picture on the walk-through). This also means I cannot progress the installation. 

I can provide some images if needed when I get home. But the images on the walkthrough and my explanation should hopefully be enough?

spacer.png

James Drake
Posted
Posted

That may be a good question to ask over in the official flightsimulator forums. I haven't seen that issue before.

Matthew Kemp
Posted
Posted

Good news! I've solved the problem and it was a frustratingly simple solution.

1. Download the latest Xbox for PC app from the MS store
  2. Purchase the Xbox 1 month game pass for £1 
  3. Launch MSFS from within the Xbox for PC app

The installer is currently running and appears to be working fine. I just have to remember to cancel the Xbox game pass before it auto renews. It's only £1 for the first month.

spacer.png