You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Missing model string" ?

Paul Robson

Paul Robson
Posted
Posted

Hi. Running Linux-64 bit-0.9.4.389 X-Plane (obviously). X-CSL Model set

Got it mostly set up correctly and it seems happy.  However, I cannot complete the Swift Mapping Wizard, which is telling me "Missing Model String" on the confirmation page. (Trying White/White Cessna 172 using XP Standard)

Given there is nothing on here that fits that description, that would seem to leave two possibilities.

1) On the first page of the Wizard there is a textbox for "Model's Unique Key". This appears to be disabled. I had presumed it was to be filled in at the end.

2) Immediately before this on the main client GUI there is another text box "Model" with Unique model identifier in the "Own Aircraft" group.  This too appears to be disabled. I had presumed that was filled in by the Wizard but it is not likely because it is not completed because of 1.

It should also be noted that as I had "Observer (co pilot) No simulator selected" it would seem logical that "Own Aircraft" should itself be disabled.

The Log appears to be a dump of class instances.

Please advise.

Regards,

Paul Robson.

Also ; it is probably worth making it more explicit in the installation tutorial that you need to download a CSL set at all. Some programs either provide a reasonable default set as part of the install, or download them automatically. I can appreciate you may not want to do this, but it is not clear that it needs to be done, nor how to do it from the installation tutorial.

Claude ROULLIER
Posted
Posted

• 4 weeks later...
Paul Robson
Posted
Posted

Hi. Sorry, I meant to get back to you on this one.

I was using the Bluebell dataset in X-Plane/Linux. Rather than having CSL/BB_GA/C172 as the tree in the models I had put CSL/BB_GA/BB_GA/C172 in instead (the others were done correctly) as is advised against in the documentation.

It now seems to find it automatically, e.g. if I'm connected to X-Plane with a C172 flight in progress it selects that without intervention.

I suspect what is happening is that before when it tried to do a "Model match" this meant it couldn't find a C172 model to use and this is what caused the error. This is not unreasonable but "Missing Model String" perhaps should be replaced with "Cannot find matching model in model set" ?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your feedback! Indeed it is hard to design 100% meaningful error messages, because "missing model string" can have various reasons. I will forward your suggestion to our Discord server.

• 6 months later...
David Wilson-Steer
Posted
Posted

I've spent HOURS trying to get Swift to work on FSX.  I'm not a computer person but I'm a pilot and I can fly any plane but I don't understand the Swift setup.  Sqwarkbox was so simple.  I've no idea what 'missing model string' means.  I can't get Swift to connect to FSX, my aircraft doesn't show up on Vatspy.  I tried vPilot and that keeps throwing up a 'no connection' error with numbers that mean nothing to me.  Surely there's a simpler pilot client out there.  I put through a support request and had no reply.  I'm just returning to Vatsim but really ... I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hi David,

sorry to hear that you are having trouble!

vpilot is the most simple pilot client, it is rather "click&go". I am not an expert with it, so you'd have to look at a solution over the subsection for vpilot in these forums. Ross is very responsive and will get you sorted quickly.

If you would like to try to get swift going, I'll be very happy to help you directly. Do you happen to use Discord? I'd be ready for a screenshare session to provide direct help. I am sure it's only a small thing that needs to be corrected in your setup. I'm not a computer person, too, so I absolutely sympathize with you. For starters, have you used our tutorial videos? https://docs.swift-project.org/doku.php?id=tutorials

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

It's definitely worth it.  And you'll find folks here that will be happy to help you with swift (I don't use it so I'm afraid I can't) or help you with vPilot if you post in the vPilot forums.  The community is very helpful!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations