You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Will I see aircraft from other simulators?

Stephen Pelly

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

Hi all, I'm new to using VATSIM. What an awesome concept and a brilliant way of really taking the flight sim experience to a new level. Quick question though: Will I see aircraft that are flying in different simulators? I'm flying MSFS2020 and on landing this evening the controller slotted someone in just ahead of me, but I didn't see anything - just nice empty runway.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Yes, as long as you have an AI package installed to enable model matching.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

Awesome, thanks. I can't seem to find an AI package for FS2020. FLAi seems like the ideal thing, but it is for FSX. Perhaps they will develop something for FS2020.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

You don't need an AI package. Without an AI package, you'll still see other aircraft, they'll just be rendered using the default models that come with MSFS.

If you didn't see another aircraft ahead of you, there's some other reason for that. Did you see any error messages in the vPilot window?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Stephen Pelly
Posted
Posted

Excellent, thanks for the information Ross. Indeed, I did not have my air traffic settings set to "Live". I've done that now and I see the other aircraft in VATSIM. Quite cool!

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

I suspect in the next 3-6 months, the third-party community will "catch up" and there will be a version of FLAi for MSFS. What needs to happen is for those who have built models and liveries for FSX/P3D to convert them for the new system. Once that's done, we'll be able to support MSFS with FLAi.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager