You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FS2004 problem

Heinrich Vaha

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

I have that kind of problem sometimes: I play in windowed mode, and suddenly menus disappear. when i change tasks or anything, FS exits itself.

http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scrshot836qu3.jpg

Its very annoying. Any ideas?

Graham Mitchell 984314
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that when squakbox in connected I can no longer access the menus. I use full screen mode and press the ALT key to access the menus however when SB3 in connected pressing the ALT key does nothing. Disconnect SB3 and everyting is back to normal.

If you switch tasks are you sure that FS terminates and does not just minimise and clicking on the FS bar at the bottom of the screen does not bring it up again.

Also when you switch tasks with FS active normaly this would cause FS to PAUSE. According to VATSIM rules you are not allowed to PAUSE FS (when online) unless instructed to do so by ATC.

Clearly pausing during a flight would tend to show ,on ATC screens, your aircraft stationary at possibly high altitude and is not possible. It would clearly be of some concern to ATC in busy airways or on final app. not to mention any aircraft travelling behind you.

I am not sure but suspect that the symtoms you are getting could be caused by SB3 and is probably intentional for the reasons above.

As a general rule, disconnect your SB3 session before changing tasks or watching an instant replay as this will also cause FS to pause.

If your symtoms do not occur when SB3 is not loaded then this is probably the cause.

Hope this is of some help..

Best regards Graham Mitchell (GB1159)

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

I forgot to mention, that I play in windowed mode, much more easyer and comfortable. Pause on task switch is disabled. And it does'nt help if I disconnect or exit SB. Menus just disappear and i cant make them visible by right click and "Hide Menu bar".

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Provide your system specs

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.21GHZ

1GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7600GS 256MB

A8NE-FM nForce 4

Lennart Vedin
Posted
Posted

Did you update video-driver NVidia (GForce): http://www.nvidia.com

/ Lennart Vedin / vedinat.png910701.png

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

I'll try that.

If this happens, all is wierd. I cant click almost anything, even outside FS. I't like caused by Windows, not fs. Is this possible? I am using XP Home with SP2

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

Updateing drivers did'nt help, still same

Ross Moir 844817
Posted
Posted

If you fly in windows mode , try starting SB3 from the Modules section of the menu bar.

Ross Moir

Taxiway ALPHA Landing Expert

Clarke Kruger
Posted
Posted
Nvidia GeForce 7600GS 256MB

Would you also happen to have your Anti Aliasing set higher than 4x?

Cheers

Clarke Kruger

Edmonton (CYEG) AB, Canada

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 1

Have a question? Email [email protected]

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

AA is set te 'application controled'. Tried uninstalling PMDG 737s now, because there were no problem before installing that software. Ill post here if it helped.

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

And in FS, what do you have the AA set to?

Heinrich Vaha
Posted
Posted

No AA set at all.

Brian Fuller 973577
Posted
Posted

Couple of things you can try:

Set your AA in your driver to None or Disabled.

In FS, use Window Mode instead of Full Screen (Alt + Enter)

The problem you describe is common for NVidia cards, especially the 6800 and 7600 and it's usually a AA problem. I believe there were earlier NVidia drivers that didn't have this issue, but I think they go back to the 71.xx versions.