You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Trying to evaluate x-plane for 777 simulator - help needed

Matthew Schoenberg 959688

Posted
Posted

Hi,

I am building a flight simulator to be used specifically with VATSIM.

I am presently using a set up with FS9 and Project Magenta on a multi-monitor set up with large screens and projectors.

I want to evaluate the possiblitly of using x-plane but need some [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance on what is available. I have the latest version, 8.5 as well as the world-wide scenery pack. What I don't have is a proper 777 set-up with a good avionics package and things like a FMC system or anything by which to navigate with.

Is there anything out there now that works with x-plane that is equivablent to either a Project Magenta 777 set-up or PSS 777 for use with x-plane. I am specically interested in a 777, a 300ER or 200LR varient with GE90 engines although for the test, I would take any 777.

Also, how well does xsquawkbox work with x-plane? How is the voice? How is the A-1 traffic and is there the ability to see all the VATSIM traffic in each livery like with SB3.1 or FSInn?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matthew

959688.jpg

file.jpg

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Matthew,

Xplane doesnt have a complex aircraft with FMC. In regards to Project Magenta, whilst previously Enrico supported it, afaik the present state is they do not.

X-SB works as a plugin within XPlane so it would be on the same box as your visuals although I believe it is possible to run a copy of Xplane on a seperate box with just the X-SB.

There isnt the same number of varients within the X-SB model set as available with VIP for example.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
Posted

Thank you Norman.

959688.jpg

file.jpg

Keith Smith
Posted
Posted

The CSL library that comes with XSB is fairly sp[Mod - Happy Thoughts], meaning you won't get many liveries and models. However, it is possible to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble your own model set by exporting existing aircraft to the OBJ format (using a modified version of Plane Maker) and adding entries to the mapping files. I spent some time doing this a while ago, combining a lot of freeware GA aircraft, bizjets, military aircraft and XPFW aircraft (using all sorts of liveries).

The system is well docomeented. So, with time and planning, you can [Mod - Happy Thoughts]emble a highly detailed set of models and liveries. Norman is correct that the default library that ships with XSB is sp[Mod - Happy Thoughts], but it can easily be extended.

Also, the FMC in xplane is very primitive compared to real-world counterparts, however, XP 8.60 introduces an FMC that will execute turns ahead of time to stay on course, rather than overflying every waypoint.

Keith