You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Not getting ATC responses

Justin Hatcher

Justin Hatcher
Posted
Posted

I'm new to VATSIM and have spent the past nights trying to communicate with ATC. My headset wouldn't recognize my mic and I haven't received the replacement yet. I have tried to use the text only, after filing flight plans saying so in areas with ATC. I'm not getting any responses. Is there something I'm not doing right? BTW I have switched to the freq displayed by the ATC name on my vhf each time.

Thanks for any help.

Evan Reiter
Posted
Posted

It's difficult to troubleshoot this stuff when it's not real-time. Guessing here, it's possible you might have been outside the visibility/audio range of the controller(s) when you were attempting to fly. But there could be several other possibilities.

Firstly, I'd strongly recommend making your goal to have voice working; the experience is much more engaging when you're speaking on the radio. Perhaps once you receive the new mic, things will get easier.

If you are switched to the radio of the controller and using text radio messages, there is no reason the controller shouldn't reply. That said, if you can't hear the controller, be patient: you might be their only text pilot but they could have 20 voice pilots calling. After a few minutes, if you receive no reply, you can try sending a private message to the controller. The process to send a PM differs by pilot client (vPilot, xPilot, etc.); you'll find instructions in the documentation for the one you're using.

If you are still unable to make contact, I would suggest asking a Supervisor for assistance in real time. You can type something like ".wallop I am unable to communicate with ATC, is someone available to help?". Assuming a Supervisor is online, you'll get a private message from an experienced member who might be able to help you troubleshoot live.

spacer.png

Evan Reiter
Boston Virtual ARTCC/ZBW Community Manager

Justin Hatcher
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the reply. I received my new headset to find the mic didn't work. SMH. When I used the text I was on the GA ramp of the airport the ATC's was covering, KATL. I'm hoping to get this straightened out because after doing flight planning and filing, etc., it's been a let down to turn off squawkbox and just use the in game ATC.

Morten Jelle
Posted
Posted

In your initial post, you did not mention what client you were using. You wrote something about Squawkbox which makes me believe it is xSquawkbox and X-Plane. Have you considered trying X-Pilot and see if that works? Also, are you 100% sure you are correctly tuned to the frequency? I am not an expert in XSquawkbox but I believe XSquawkbox uses somekind of ingame messagelog which is known to cause messages getting missed by the pilot.

We need some more details in order to help you otherwise will can only guess.

Morten Jelle

VATSIM Network Supervisor, Team Lead - Supervisor Team 1

spacer.png