You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Think I'm ready to try it out but one flight planning question

Charles Paluda

Charles Paluda
Posted
Posted

Hi guys, been lurking a long time, signed up years ago during FSX but was always too chicken to actually try out live ATC other than sitting at the ramp listening occasionally.  Just wondering one thing on flight planning for an IFR flight.  Do I put my own expected SID/STAR in the flight plan or just the main enroute waypoints and expect the controller will give me an appropriate SID and STAR?  Will be running MSFS 2020 with access to Navigraph Charts if that helps answer anything.  

Actually, I think I have one more question now that I think about it.  I remember using Squawkbox back on FSX to tune in and listen and that it injected Vatsim traffic into the sim.  I'm using VPilot now of course on MSFS 2020, but I couldn't tell if it was doing the same thing?  I was seeing stuff, but I also had Live Traffic and "live" multiplayer (meaning weather/time is locked) turned on.  So if Vatsim users are injected into the sim, I'm not sure how to identify them?  

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Charles Paluda said:

Do I put my own expected SID/STAR in the flight plan or just the main enroute waypoints and expect the controller will give me an appropriate SID and STAR?

Depends what country you are flying in. USA yes, Australia No, Europe I believe no.

• Like 1

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
On 10/17/2020 at 12:29 AM, Charles Paluda said:

I was seeing stuff, but I also had Live Traffic and "live" multiplayer (meaning weather/time is locked) turned on.  So if Vatsim users are injected into the sim, I'm not sure how to identify them?  

I would suggest you turn off all the other traffic sources if flying in Vatsim.

ACH2118.jpg

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lauri Uusitalo said:

I would suggest you turn off all the other traffic sources if flying in Vatsim.

You have to do that, otherwise that might interfere with VATSIM's injection, and also create confusion as to what is VATSIM traffic and not.

Set Multiplayer to "group", and AI traffic to "off". 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

Just remember that, ALL of us were beginners at  one time and made  mistakes.

nebojsa

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Many of us still make them, 10+ years in. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Many of us still make them, 10+ years in. 

We never make mistakes.

ACH2118.jpg