You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Training observers for Student rating

Andrew Carr 812404

Andrew Carr 812404
Posted
Posted

Hi folks,

Not sure if I'm missing something here. This morning I was trying to run a short training session with TWRTrainer for someone who currently has a pilot/OBS rating. The idea was that they would log on to the Sweatbox server in a TWR position and practice controlling local traffic in preparation for their Student [Mod - Happy Thoughts]essment.

However, the Sweatbox server did not allow them to connect as a valid controller (as per normal VATSIM servers). Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but what do I need to do to facilitate training (and subsequently [Mod - Happy Thoughts]essment) of observers? Is there some sort of work around?

I'd really appreciate any advice here - TWRTrainer is an excellent program and I'd hate not to be able to use it to, er...train TWR controllers!

Cheers,

Andrew Carr

Director Training

VATPAC

www.vatpac.org

----------------------

Andrew Carr

Director, ATC Training

VATPAC

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

Ross

Is it likely to be able to get the Sweatbox server to accept Observers to issue commands and the like because I don't like the idea of having to grant someone a STU rating before they have been trained and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]essed?

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure I understand ... they can't work traffic without an S1 rating on VATSIM, so why allow it on the sweatbox? They can't be a student without a student rating.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted

In Oceania, we don't give them a student rating until they have taken some tests and proven they know how it all works. We were hoping that TWRTrainer would allow us to get them trained and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]essed to that standard so that they could not logon to a live server and control until they have been [Mod - Happy Thoughts]essed.

Mark

Mark Richards (811451)

Auckland, New Zealand

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Doesn't have anything to do with TWRTrainer ... the server won't allow it.

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I believe what is being asked is "is there a way to reduce the threshold (currently set at 2) to level 1 only on the sweatbox"

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

No, there isn't.

Mark Richards
Posted
Posted
No, there isn't.