You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot 2.6.8 Released in Beta Updates Channel

Ross Carlson

Kyle Kato
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

vPilot looks in the registry for the keys I listed above to see if you have MSFS installed. If you have MSFS installed, but you don't have any of those keys, then there should be another registry key somewhere that I can add to the list of keys that vPilot checks for. Perhaps you could look in the SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths folders in the registry to see if there is some other key that looks like it is for MSFS.

I may have found it. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Kyle Kato said:

I may have found it. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

That's a list of application names that Windows adds to the first time you run an application. What we need to find for vPilot is a key that is created by MSFS when you install the sim. Usually this key will contain the path where you have installed the sim.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Kyle Kato
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

That's a list of application names that Windows adds to the first time you run an application. What we need to find for vPilot is a key that is created by MSFS when you install the sim. Usually this key will contain the path where you have installed the sim.

Searched through the five main folders for flightsimulator.exe found these; not sure if any work but this is what I've found.

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343906942-3247211498-3509720973-1001\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\FLIGHTSIMULATOR.EXE5F2EE5E413D2A600

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RADAR\HeapLeakDetection\DiagnosedApplications\FlightSimulator.exe

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\FLIGHTSIMULATOR.EXE5F2EE5E413D2A600

If I were to make an educated guess, I would assume the last one is the best option, but then again this is not my field at all. Hope that helps and thank you for taking the time to assist.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kyle Kato said:

Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343906942-3247211498-3509720973-1001\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\FLIGHTSIMULATOR.EXE5F2EE5E413D2A600

This one I can't use because it is specific to your user account.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RADAR\HeapLeakDetection\DiagnosedApplications\FlightSimulator.exe

That one might be usable, but I don't know if it is generated every time you run the sim, or only when this Heap Leak Detection runs.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectInput\FLIGHTSIMULATOR.EXE5F2EE5E413D2A600

This one has that string of characters in it which may or may not be the same across all systems. My system actually has that key and several others where the only thing that differs is the string of characters at the end.

Have you tried searching for just "FLIGHTSIMULATOR" without the .exe extension?

How did you install the sim? From the Windows app store, from steam, or some other method?

Kyle Kato
Posted
Posted

Hey there, I combed through the entire registry and those three are the only ones that popped up for some reason.

I got my MSFS from the Microsoft store on microsoft.com

Maybe we could try the HeapLeak one and see what happens?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Kyle Kato said:

Maybe we could try the HeapLeak one and see what happens?

I did a little research on that, and it looks like that key is only created when a possible memory leak is detected in the application. It is not guaranteed to be there, so it's not suitable for this purpose.

I think for now I might just have vPilot assume that everyone has MSFS installed, even if they don't, rather than trying to detect if it is actually installed. The only downside is that people that don't have MSFS installed will see model matching settings for MSFS, which could be confusing, but that's not a big deal.

I'll have a new build out soon.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I just put up 2.6.10, which assumes you have MSFS installed. Give that a try.

Kyle Kato
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try

Kyle Kato
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Works great!! Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Simmons
Posted
Posted

Good day, I used vPilot this morning with no issues. Now it will not start, well it opens but attempts to get going for about 3 sec then closes. Never even fully displays really. I deleted the install and downloaded 2.6.10. Same issue. I did reinstall my previous antivirus this morning, could be a cause I suppose but it was working fine with it before. I tried the host app and it opens with no issues, just seems to be the primary app.

Any ideas would be more helpful.

Thanks

• Ross Carlson unfeatured and unpinned this topic