You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VRC No Voice and Possible Interference

James O'Donnell 950926

James O'Donnell 950926
Posted
Posted

I very recently installed VRC and logged on as an observer. Seems to work fine except no voice. I have read through the docomeentation and set up the COMM panel. When I check the SPKR box the checkmark turns gray for a moment and then back to black which I believe indicates a successful connection. A/G SPKR button is pressed. Ports have been forwarded but to no avail. Disabled Norton firewall and set router firewall to minimum (all inbound and outbound allowed) but no luck. Windows fire wall is disabled. Some posts talk about Norton as being a problem even when disabled, however I have not uninstalled Norton as yet and would like to keep it if possible.

One other possible BIG issue is that when I have logged in I soon start to see text messages between the controller and various aircraft that suggest that voice just went down. This has happened several times. It may just be a coincidence but I certainly don't want to be effecting operations while observing so I log off. I have tripled checked that the TX button in the COMM panel is not checked.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

System is:

Dell XPS

WIN XP SP2

Actiontec Router (Verizon FiOS)

Norton Personal Firewall

Robert Ogden 985378
Posted
Posted

Have you checked with the ARTCC that you're observing to make sure you have the right VOX channel/server set? Does the RX button ever turn from green to orange? Does that box say "ON SPKR"?

As long as you have not checked TX or PRIM, then I don't see how you could be interfering with the ATC's communications. Come to ZME sometime, and I'll do what I can to help.

216.png

Alex Stjepanovic 963114
Posted
Posted

Go to Settings, Audio Devices, and make sure that Speaker(SPKR) and Headset(HDST) each have a proper audio device set up. So that when you enable(tick) them on the Communications Panel, they actually work.

Controllers have feelings too...

• 4 months later...
Joe Sturdy 1005067
Posted
Posted

I have the same problem.

I'm not sure as how to make sure that they're set up..

The speakers and headset both work fine outside of VRC, but don't work in it, as the box goes grey when I click on it.

I've tried doing as was suggested, but to no avail..

• 2 weeks later...
Jarrod Clowes 1005389
Posted
Posted

I am having the same issue. Did anyone get this resolved. I can see the a/c, the RX button is on and stays green, and the on spkr is illuminated green. Any help to get voice would be much appreciated.

Clement Roy 924512
Posted
Posted

Information in the communication panel must be entered correctly.

1. Your position name. ( JC_OBS )

2. Frequency, using XXX.XXX being all numbers. (199.998)

3. Voice servers IP Address from the Vatsim (Who's online page)

4. Your position name. ( JC_OBS)

You must have set a Primary Frequency. (We sometimes forget it too)

Now, if a servers is too busy, the box will stays grey, just try another voice server. Could also be the network or your internet supplier. It happens but very rarely.

When trying to listen to another controler, find his/her Voice server by asking the person. (line 3)

To hear another controler, just select the SPKR checkmark at the end of his line when fully complited. (Easier then to monitor, I find)

If you have front and rear connection for your headphones and the front connectors don't work, try the rear connectors.

Voice going down after 10:00 min of use is a complete different problem refered to elsewhere. Keep Norton, it does not affect VRC

Try, http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc.php?page=ground_to_ground_communications

Also, Sometimes we don't talk....