You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MSFS2020 flight plans and potential changes from VATSIM ATC

Robert Vanderkam

Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

Hello, I've flown hundreds of flights in VATSIM years ago and want to do it again with MSFS2020. But I am concerned about one thing. If I get a flight plan from MSFS using their interactive map tool, and it goes into my MCDU/FPS, can I insist on that route or is it likely that ATC will want to change it?

I ask because I am using an aircraft and MCDU that I'm not yet extremely familiar with and, so far, attempts at changing the default FP have not gone well.

If the answer is that I must have the ability to manage changes in my FP, that's okay. I can wait a few more weeks to get back in the saddle.

Rob

Rob Vanderkam

Canadian Virtual Airlines (CVA) - in operation since 1997

955.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It's certainly better if you can accommodate simple shortcuts and reroutes, particularly if you're trying to fly into a busy event.  If you can't, though, just advise you're having FMC difficulties (no need for a dissertation) and ask if you can get vectors instead.  Most controllers should be able to work with you if you can fly a heading and maintain assigned altitudes and speeds. 

• Like 1

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

Hi again, would that work with getting IFR clearance? I finally made it to getting online and asking for clearance, but it turns out MSFS2020 gave me a FP that was not right for my aircraft (a320NX), so he or she asked me to change it. I could not. I see two options, 1) learn how to find the correct SIDS and STARS and insert them from the FS2020 plan window (yuck), 2) learn how to change the SID in my MCDU (kind of yuck), or 3) tell him or her I can't change it. I tried 3) this time but they gave me a new SID with a transition anyway. So I am here.

Making progress.

Rob Vanderkam

955.png

Robert Vanderkam
Posted
Posted

Ha, I did 2) and will now try to adjust my Takeoff RWY and STAR/TRANS while in VATSIM. Progress!

Rob Vanderkam

955.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

It is definitely an essential skill to have, because there will be times that you'll be asked to change your route even if what you filed is perfectly valid.

Also, if you're flying in the US at all, try checking this out.  It says it's made for GA flight planning but it's really applicable to commercial IFR routing as well.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png