You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Backtracking ATC procedure?

• backtrack
  • atc
  • taxi

edward willans

edward willans
Posted
Posted

I was flying an approach into LPMA and I touched down a bit late which lead to me having to backtrack at the end of the runway, do I need to make any ATC contact or do I just backtrack and and announce that I 'vacated via Charlie' like I did?

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Normally, TWR will notice that something out of the ordinary is going on, and act accordingly.

However, it never hurts to inform him/her. 

Jonas Helkey
Posted
Posted

If in doubt, a "Tower, be advised..." never hurts anyone.

Miguel Albano
Posted
Posted

I'd say that if operating in an ATC Zero environment, advise on UNICOM that you're backtracking and advise when the runway has been vacated.

If on a controlled ATC environment, Tower will be aware of that and probably even clear you for the backtrack.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

My guess is that TWR controllers who work fields where backtracking may be necessary (i.e. they have a runway which has one end without any connecting taxiway) are used to seeing people roll it long occasionally and have to backtrack, and are ready to send the next arrival around in case a runway takes longer than expected to become vacant again.  But, as mentioned, it doesn't hurt to get their attention and advise them, just in case they're distracted. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

You want the perspective for the real life? First of all: my jet is smaller than an airliner, so we can turn around on any runway at any point. In a situation as described by the OP, there is nothing else that you can do, so turn around and backtrack to the next exit. You certainly do not need any permission for this. What else should you do? Remain on the runway and have a BBQ there?
Larger aircraft may have to utilize designated turn-pads to perform such a maneuver, but this is specific to local airport use rules and runway procedures.

• Like 1

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted
On 12/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, Andreas Fuchs said:

have a BBQ there?

Only if you’re an Aussie

• Haha 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller