You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Garry Morrison

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

I am curious to know, how many of you use FSX: Steam Edition?

FSX-Steam-Edition-Splash-Screen.jpg

74Q3NHMZVZG7XJ3HPMO7P4YQ64.jpg

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Yeah I use it from time to time. I've spent too much on addons to just abandon it for MSFS entirely lol

• Thanks 1

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

Thank you Torben. It is certainly interesting to know that 15% of flight simmers use FSX: Steam. 

Tyler Wood
Posted
Posted
On 1/19/2021 at 8:27 PM, Garry Morrison said:

I am curious to know, how many of you use FSX: Steam Edition?

FSX-Steam-Edition-Splash-Screen.jpg

I still use it. I'm a blind pilot using software to fly the airplane and FSX is tried and true. P3d does work, but there are accessibility issues using a screen reader. They can be gotten around, but not with ease.

That being said, I really do hope the essentials, like v pilot, don't suddenly stop working, at least for a while.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Add another 25% who use Microsoft FSX, which I assume is the original boxed version and you have about 45% still use FSX in some form.

Andrew

Jonas Helkey
Posted
Posted (edited)

I also still use it since I have a significant amount of money invested in it at this point and also it's just tried and true here as well. The machine I'm running it on is very much... on the edge when flight simming, that's for sure, and FSX works fine. Until the day I can afford major hardware upgrades it will surely stay FSX for me.

Edited by Jonas Helkey
  • Thanks 1

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I have it but don't use it. I love my FS9

nebojsa

Garry Morrison
Posted
Posted

I am using FSX: Steam edition for the moment. I have XPlane and MSFS but I need to learn how to use them. I also have FS9 on a PC that is giving me problems.

• 1 month later...
Jim Rish
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 1/21/2021 at 2:23 AM, nebojsa milosavljevic said:

I have it but don't use it. I love my FS9

nebojsa

Cool. And here is what I did in regards to not only getting rid of FSX SE, except for add-ons I got and files I can actually use out of it, but ditching steam in general:

"After trying to get FSX to load off of steam, like wading though a swamp, I finally had enough. Also, I don't know what these people do with the windows registry, but I wiped everything off. Reformatted, got the win 7 professional back on, and dug up my CD's of FSX standard, no acceleration. After cleaning up my computer, I dumped what steam had off into a folder I made. After finally getting past microsoft's hideous roll back failure to install, fatal error and everything else, I got the copy of the SDK and installed that first. Then install FSX, SP1 and SP2. Now, a clean boot like I've never seen or don't remember ever seeing, and certainly not on FSX SE. Sure, some aircraft don't work but guess what? I combined the panel off a FS2004 download and entered that on the steam's F/A-18 windows 00 entry, which gives me a working F10 HUD. Using the steam first VC entry lines, and cutting out the add-on VC entry, I don't have the HUD or instruments working there, but the cockpit is clean with all textures. That's all I need. I have my own feel for airspeed in VC mode anyways. Always have had. Yay! Now, a fully operational F/A-18 without FSX accelerated and, more importantly, without steam's involvement in my projects. My F-4J F-10 HUD doesn't work, but at least it's clean without black colored glass. However, My U.S.S America and Enterprise textures still come out beautiful. AND everything in VC works and looks just fine. Without doing anything at all, my favorite one-of-a-kind Corsair air frame is all completely there, nothing missing, everything works. That black glass on the VC of my UKMIL Hawks have even gone to clear glass. I don't care if the HUD is there or not. Yay! And the entire 747 package, with E1 exite function, E2, E3, loading ramps, and E4, ALL work just like in your accelerated add-on. Therefore, I'm not gonna touch this thing by getting FSX accelerated, or anything else. My pilotable U.S.S. Nimitz has black textures on the hangar deck, but just overhead and on bulkheads on the side. You can still see good enough to taxi. Flight deck textures, lights, tow truck, elevator, and everything else work just fine. P-47 add-ons work as well. All this with out FSX accelration, gold, or whatever else. Nobody wants to take me on in aircraft operations anyways so AIcarriers2 doesn't matter. I land at the carrier scenery in Pensacola, anyways, which shows up just fine. My PC boots up again, and FSX boots up like I've never seen it, or ever remember seeing it before. And last, but certainly not least, I'm finally off that hideous dump of a service, known as steam. And like a character said on a TV show once: "and I ain't EVER, goin' back. biggrin.png "

Edited by Jim Rish
word check syntax or whatever..
  • Thanks 1

rocksalot.png