You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

MSFS 2020 Real World Weather Options

Talia Johnson

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted

Hi, everyone.

I've flown flight simulators on and off since the days of Flight Simulator 2 on the C=64 (yes, I'm oldish?) and just getting back into it with MSFS 2020. I haven't connected to VATSIM yet to try a flight because I'm trying to make sure I have everything in good order (I might be overthinking this). One of the issues with MSFS2020 that seems to be ongoing is the real world weather.

What options are people using for weather in MSFS 2020? I'm not averse to paying for a solution if it works, and does not impact performance too much.

Talia.

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

Currently I think only option is the inbuilt system as MS isn’t open to 3rd parties injecting weather into the system,

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted

That is... unfortunate because the inbuilt live weather is buggy AF.

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted

Did some more searching and found REX Weather Force 2020, it's payware, so apparently they do allow insertion, sort of? Or is there something I'm missing?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I mean, if you're not averse to paying for it, there's no harm in trying it.  For what it's worth, at the outset I found that MSFS2020 weather was not consistent with METAR observations but it has seemed better lately.  What I've heard about REX is that it makes weather at the airport more consistent with METAR reports but doesn't do much for conditions aloft.  IMHO the idea that each sim pilot's weather varies slightly from that of others around them is not a new one, so I wouldn't let it hold you up from getting on the network while continuing to research and test better solutions. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted

I do have a tendency to overthink things. Plus weather that claims to be "live" and isn't irks me. I've been testing and figuring out quirks in game. I like the Beechcraft King Air for flying around, decent range, not too large, responsive, etc. Just discovering that sometimes the flight surfaces stop responding to input from autopilot and manual controls sometimes. Particularly frustrating when trying to descend for approach.

Joshua Jenkins
Posted
Posted

Take a look at "unreal weather". It's a free addon that does a great job inserting accurate METAR. Only thing is it doesn't do winds aloft (at the moment). https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/

Josh Jenkins

CZVR I1 controller

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Josh Jenk said:

Take a look at "unreal weather". It's a free addon that does a great job inserting accurate METAR. Only thing is it doesn't do winds aloft (at the moment). https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Talia Johnson
Posted
Posted

Update: Unreal Weather seems to be doing a good job of things, now the challenge is to remember to check for updates to it somewhat regularly...