You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First impressions and controller thanks

Gary Williams

Gary Williams
Posted
Posted

Firstly, I just want to say thanks to the controllers at EGKK and EGPF for the help tonight.

Looking back at my very first flight on Vatsim I probably picked the wrong evening to do it with lots of traffic at Gatwick and bad weather. I hope I didn't annoy any of the controllers!

So, some advice I received before I committed to doing my first flight was to know your aircraft, this is true as it came in handy when I had to change the departure SID. 
It's also good to contact controllers if you have a problem - the taxi routing I was given didn't make any sense because the scenery layout in MSFS2020 is different to what the controller was expecting but he was super helpful after I explained the issue so don't be afraid to speak up.

I wrote down the controller order and some procedures which helped but I ended up with the same frequency on COM1 and COM2 - don't do this as you can hear yourself talk and it's really offputting!

MSFS2020 gate and ramp ID's have zero relation to what's in navigraph so watch for that.

What I do need to get better at is understanding the taxi instructions as well. The EGKK ground controller was very helpful with that considering how busy it was.

So yes, fun but lots to learn and it can be intimidating.

Thanks again to the controllers! 

• Thanks 1

Mats Edvin Aaro
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the network, Gary!

Sounds you had a fun experience, your first flight will never feel comfortable and things WILL go wrong. Just know that making mistakes is natural in the beginning; everyone has been new once. 🙂

If you haven’t already, I’ll recommend you check out the resources VATSIM has available for you to further enhance your educative experience! There are lots of good resources all over the place, but here is what I recommend reviewing:

- VATSIM Pilot Learning Center

- AviationPro’s VATSIM Tutorial series

- VATSIM For Beginners Facebook group

- VATSIM Community Discord

The only way to get comfortable and «experienced» on the network is by gaining experience. You’ve already made the biggest step! 🙂

Mats Edvin Aarø
Assistant to the Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM General Manager: Member Engagement
[email protected]

VATSIM logo new

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM!

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Gary Williams
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gunnar Lindahl said:

Welcome to VATSIM!

Thank you for creating a wonderful environment and adding to the immersion!