You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Requesting Start-up and Push back clearance (is this for all aircraft?)

James Pimenta

James Pimenta
Posted
Posted (edited)

I noticed at Manchester UK  (EGCC)   I have to ask the controller for start-up and push back clearance.  I know this can be found in the Navigraph Airport Briefing (DEP) and is also said in the real world.

I know this is obvious for Passenger Airliners/Large Aircraft,  but surely for smaller aircraft that do not require push back, can they simply get away with just asking for a start-up request?  or am talking rubbish?

Edited by James Pimenta
spelling mistake

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

if you are parked at an stand that uses a straightout taxi system you just request startup clearance. however do listen to ATC what they clear you for. 

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Took a quick look at the parking / docking chart, but there doesn't seem to be any stand from which you could do a taxi-out, they're all nose-in, except for the GA/Business aprons, which don't have any precisely designated parking areas.

The airport briefing says this on the matter of taxi-out / power-back:

Aircraft will not be permitted to reverse off pier-served stands under their own power. Aircraft may be permitted to reverse off remote stands at the discretion of the aerodrome authority. Permission must be obtained from the Airfield Duty Manager (Ext. 3331) via ATC prior to manoeuvre.

(Source: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-01-28-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-AD-2.EGCC-en-GB.html#AD-2.EGCC)

I don't know how it's normally done at EGCC, but I would expect that if you're on a regular stand, you would normally be cleared for pushback, unless you are at a remote stand (like those North of taxiway Z) and explicitly request a power-back. GA aprons are often "push/taxi at pilot's discretion", not controlled, so you would request startup, and be advised to hold short and report somewhere on the boundary of GND's area of responsibility.

23.png

Koen Meier
Posted
Posted

powerback would only be viable on a prop aircraft.

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

Yes, and we are talking about "smaller aircraft that don't require push-back" here, so that seems appropriate.

23.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, Koen Meier said:

powerback would only be viable on a prop aircraft.

I have been onboard a 727 that did a power-back in Miami. Good old days!

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

• 1 month later...
Scott D. Williams
Posted
Posted

Power back was standard for NWA DC9 and MD80 in the US at certain airports. It always makes me cringe a little because it seemed so prone to FOD and burned a little more fuel of course..

Scott D. Williams

KMEM