You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Looking for X-Plane / Oculus Rift S VR / VATSIM recommendations

• vr xpilot
  • vr nav
  • vr ptt

Dave Rank

Dave Rank
Posted
Posted

I recently joined VATSIM and am getting oriented.  I fly exclusively in VR with X-Plane and a Rift S.  I have homemade primary flight controls (stick, rudder, collective and twist throttle).

I'm looking for recommendations of the best setup to allow PTT over a computer headset (or through the Rift S, if possible) and the best way to get some "charts" and other navigational tools displayed in the cockpit with me.

So far, I think I need xPilot.  I'm seeing other things about VATspy, ChartFox and other tools.

Has anyone passed this way before?

• 1 month later...
Christian Ziegler
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2021 at 3:26 PM, Dave Rank said:

I recently joined VATSIM and am getting oriented.  I fly exclusively in VR with X-Plane and a Rift S.  I have homemade primary flight controls (stick, rudder, collective and twist throttle).

I'm looking for recommendations of the best setup to allow PTT over a computer headset (or through the Rift S, if possible) and the best way to get some "charts" and other navigational tools displayed in the cockpit with me.

So far, I think I need xPilot.  I'm seeing other things about VATspy, ChartFox and other tools.

Has anyone passed this way before?

Hi Dave,

I´m as well at the beginning using VATSIM under VR, especially I´m looking for a solution to define a PTT to my left hand trigger of the controller. Audio is coming via the VR headset and microphone will be used even from the headset.

If you have a navigraph account, the charts can be loaded from there. Me, in example, flying with X-Plane even completely under VR and there I have the avitab which is connected to my navigraph account and I can see all needed information on this tab.

Dave Rank
Posted
Posted

Christian,

I'll check those out.  Thank you.

Christian Ziegler
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Rank said:

Christian,

I'll check those out.  Thank you.

Dave,

may you can check this as well.

PI_Command2Key.py - Utilities - X-Plane.Org Forum

I´m working on this already to get it up and running to assign a PTT button to my left hand controller

Christian Ziegler
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Christian Ziegler said:

Dave,

may you can check this as well.

PI_Command2Key.py - Utilities - X-Plane.Org Forum

I´m working on this already to get it up and running to assign a PTT button to my left hand controller

Hi all,
meanwhile I figured out how does it works to assign my left hand controller trigger button for PTT.
There is a tool on X_Plane.org  

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/42081-pi_command2keypy/&tab=comments#comment-337571

After my setup was done and even watching the tutorial to setup my controller and map the PTT button, all is working fine for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHER9hoBnuE

Just try this out as this is improving your VR experience drastically if you want to fly online under VR

• 1 year later...
Sam Console
Posted
Posted

I fly Robinson helicopters in VR east coast US and would fly with you if you have the time. Message me. I use AviTab and xPilot for charts and comms on VATSIM. Trying to constantly improve.

thank you,

Sam