You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Warning on my PC: Vatspy can harm your computer??

Lars Frederiksen

Lars Frederiksen
Posted
Posted

When I try to download Vatspy my PC warns me like this: "Vatspy can harm your computer"

Can I without risk download and install VatSpy? 

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

False positive.  VAT-Spy is from one of the most trustworthy developers, and people, that VATSIM has ever had the benefit of knowing.

• Like 1

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Lars Frederiksen
Posted
Posted

I also think it is strange having been recommended VatSpy now that I wouild like to try out flying with Vatsim.
Then I just don't understand why - when downloading this file: VATSpy-Setup-1.2.0-beta.1.exe
from this site: VAT-Spy (rosscarlson.dev)
I get this message (translated to english): VATSpy-Setup-1.2.0-beta.1.exe was blocked because it can do harm on your unit

But maybee it is because I download an .exe file which off course potentially can be dagerous?

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I get the same thing occasionally too.  AV software will always be suspicious of EXE files to some extent.   Many AV products will also check the file name against a database of known software programs and if it is not on the list will throw up the message as a warning.    However, these lists will tend to be the mainstream programs.  VatSpy and some others used on Vatsim are very much minority programs so get flagged up as they are unknown to the AV software.    As Don said, it's a false positive.    Depending on your AV or firewall you may need to grant it access thru your firewall, but its OK.

Andrew 

Lars Frederiksen
Posted
Posted

Thank you both!

I have "told" BitDefender to allow VatSpy!