You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

B737 pilot question

Marc Sieffert

Marc Sieffert
Posted
Posted

Hi, does anybody have an opinion on this: In scenarios where ATC has vectored me away from the programmed route in the FMC for an ILS approach via vectors, what is the most realistic procedure to follow? Delete info of unflown remaining route in FMC? Recycle F/D prior to intercept or after? Or recycle F/D as soon as ATC starts vectoring me?

Thanks!!

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

What we usually do in the real world is to connect the route in the FMC so it more or less corresponds to the vectors you are being given. You can be creative if needed, like adding waypoints that are not in your original route, or even create your own waypoints. If you keep the programmed route updated to match the actual flown route, it means the FMC will give you accurate predictions for your VNAV path and distance to touchdown.

If you don't want to press too many buttons in the FMC, you can simply extend the centerline. This gives you a clear indication of where the centerline is on your ND, but doesn't give accurate VNAV information.

Recycling the F/D isn't something you would do in relation to vectoring. The only time we do this in my company is when flying a visual segment like at the end of a non-precision approach or a visual approach. This ensures the F/D is available in case of a go-around (it will be pop up anyway if you press TO/GA, but disappears when the AFDS goes into ALT ACQ at level off if the F/D switches are off).

• Thanks 1

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Normally one would create a "runway centerline extension" to improve situational awareness. On the FMS of a 737 you create a direct to the final approach point/fix, but before executing the change you also insert the final approach course as "intercept" (INTCP, bottom right LSK).

My aircraft at work (slightly more modern than  a 737) has a dedicated function for this.

EDIT: here an example of how it is done:

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1