You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Transfer FLAi to New Computer

Eric Dziura

Eric Dziura
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

While I hope that FLAi will be revived, I am currently transferring/reinstalling my flight sim software (P3DV4 and P3DV5) to a new computer. There is obviously no way to reinstall FLAi under the current circumstances, but all of the necessary files exist on my old computer. The question is, where are they?

I have found the vmr file, the addon.xml file, and the simobject airplane folders (cleverly named FLAi_??? :-)). However, the manual installation instructions (downloaded some time ago from BVARTCC) indicate that FLAi also installs files in the sim EFFECTS and TEXTURES folders, and I have no idea how to identify them.

If anyone has successfully done this type of manual transfer, I would appreciate hearing about how it was done.

Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I've just done a reinstall myself, granted of FSX rather then P3D.  I wasn't aware about the other files in EFFECT and TEXTURES and just copied the FLaixxx files from a backup of my Simobjects folder into the new Simobjects folder.    It seems to be working, or at least I think it is as I can see other aircraft in their correct liveries.    What was in the EFFECTS and TEXTURE folders, and any idea how I can truly verify FLAi is working properly ?

Eric Dziura
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Andrew McCabe said:

I've just done a reinstall myself, granted of FSX rather then P3D.  I wasn't aware about the other files in EFFECT and TEXTURES and just copied the FLaixxx files from a backup of my Simobjects folder into the new Simobjects folder.    It seems to be working, or at least I think it is as I can see other aircraft in their correct liveries.    What was in the EFFECTS and TEXTURE folders, and any idea how I can truly verify FLAi is working properly ?

Further to my post above, I too transferred the A/C files, addon.xml and vmr files (P3D installation) and now I can see other A/C in there proper livery. Never have been able to determine if the scenery/texture files I mentioned are necessary. To answer your question about verification, I would suggest connecting to VATSIM and locating your A/C next to another VATSIM user and contacting them on vPilot and asking what livery they see on your A/C.

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

I didn't save the EFFECTS and TEXTURE files specific to FLAi.  On Vatsim the liveries do appear to be OK in that they correspond to what I expect based on the other aircrafts callsign, so looks like it is working.   Only made a couple of flights since the reinstallation so will keep an eye on things.  

• 8 months later...
Ryan Hovey
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I have just moved to P3D 5.3 and am trying to salvage my Flai install from my old computer.  I have found and moved the addon.xml and the FLAi aircraft files but can't find the .vmr file.  Can you direct me to where you found it?

Thanks!

Ryan

marcus holmes
Posted
Posted
On 1/4/2022 at 8:49 PM, Ryan Hovey said:

Hello,

I have just moved to P3D 5.3 and am trying to salvage my Flai install from my old computer.  I have found and moved the addon.xml and the FLAi aircraft files but can't find the .vmr file.  Can you direct me to where you found it?

Thanks!

Ryan

You will find the .vmr file under Documents - vPilot Files - FLAI