You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to just practice landing on VATSIM?

Ben Perreau

Ben Perreau
Posted
Posted

Newbie question here.

I did a few take-off using a full flight plan but due to lack of available time, I'm not able to make it to landing.
Is there a way to just spawn in the middle of nowhere, far enough from a destination airport, file an arrival file plan on vPilot and connect to ATC to go through just the approach and landing?

Is this something that is frowned upon or not?  Is there a procedure to follow to let ATC know who we are and get a squawk code,...?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

You can request closed traffic AKA closed circuits AKA pattern work, or, you can request IFR practice approaches. 

Or you can spawn in out of nowhere, yes.  In the latter case, just be as judicious as you can about spawning into a busy airspace, and have patience with the controller as they get up to speed on where you are, what you're doing, and how you fit into their existing sequence.  I dare say it's not the preferred way to handle things -- but that's just my opinion, and I wager that many will chime in behind me saying it's perfectly fine while others may agree with me that it's not ideal. 

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

I would be VERY cautious about popping up on an approach controllers screen - and only after talking to him (not always possible I know). But imagine a scenario where pilots imerges from nowhere ruining the plans the controllers have made for the known traffic. At least choose an airport with little or no traffic. If you want to practice on a specific approach/airport with lots of traffic, I suggest as Robert that you take off from that airport (or one close by), so the controller has a chance of merging you into the traffic. If it is just for practising your handling of the plane, it is best done off line, until you feel confident. VATSIM is probably not the best place to practice basic handling of your plane, if you choose to do so at a busy airport. Many are the times I've seen a pilot not even able to fly a given heading - that really stresses out a controller, as it is impossible to plan how to merge the pilot into the sequence.

Happy flying on VATSIM

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Some pilots clients (e.g. swift, not sure about the other clients, please chime in with more info about them!) feature an "observer mode": when selected, you will connect to VATSIM, but others cannot see you - but you can see them. This way you could connect without annoying anyone, then call up ATC and state your position, circumstances and intentions and wait for ATC to tell you what to do. Once you get approval to "show up", you quickly disconnect from VATSIM and de-select "observer-mode" before connecting again. Done.

Ben Perreau
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the answer - I think the best approach is to work out a relatively short 1 hour flight like PHL-BOS or CLT-ATL and do both the take-off and landing procedure in order not to disrupt anyone.

Again, much appreciated.