You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Anxious to get started-but afraid to ask questions...

Joseph Walburn 990824

Joseph Walburn 990824
Posted
Posted

I have read a great deal from the PRC so as not to ask stupid questions, but when I go to the ramp of a site that has controller interaction, I am afraid to ask him if he can hear my microphone. I can hear the back and forth of the other pilots and Center, but I just don't know how to see if they can hear me should I decide to fly a plan. I just don't want to upset the controllers or other pilots. Please help. Thanks much

Athens, OH

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

just report in saying "Tower,radio check " or something similar.

if they hear you then they'll answer five by five or something similar.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Michael Stagg
Posted
Posted

Welcome to Vatsim! It is refreshing to here that a new pilot has actually read the information in the PRC before taking off in the virtual skies. We all at sometime were new to this exciting and sometime challenging hobby. Please do not be afraid to ask questions. My advise to you would be to check ServInfo, http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/home.htm

locate an airport that is not busy and has a controller online, listen in to the frequency and make sure he/she is not communicating with another pilot you could then key up the mic and ask for a radio check. Once you have determined that you can communicate with the ATC if you have any further question just ask the controller if he has a moment to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist you. Most if not all controllers are more than happy to answer any questions you may have or direct you to a website that contains the information you request. Hope this helps

Happy Flying

Mike

Jeff Jones 913898
Posted
Posted

Joseph,

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of VATSIM. As mentioned before, don't be afraid to ask questions. Controllers have no problems answering a couple of questions as long as they are not busy. Keep in mind though, we are not there to teach you how to fly. If you are not sure how to fly a particular airplane, or any airplane at all, learn how to fly offline first. Controllers on VATSIM are not there to be flight instructors. If you have questions regarding VATSIM, charts, how to comminucate with ATC, or maybe even routes then please ask away. If you just want to sit at an airport and listen, that is fine too. Just list in the "remarks" section of your flight plan that you are "observing ATC communications." That way nobody boots you off the network for just sitting there too long. As long as you state that you are observing everything will be fine.

If you need a radio check....no problem. Tune to the controller's freq, key your mic (make sure he's not talking to another aircraft first), and ask (for instance) "Indianapolis Center, American 123 radio check." If received, the controller should respond with something like "American 123, I read you 5 by 5." By the way, 5 by 5 basically means loud and clear. If you receive a 3 or 4 by 5 then the controller didn't hear you very well. The lower the number, the more unreadable the transmission. If you hear the controller say 2 by 5 or even 3 by 5 then you should check your sound settings. Of course, I would get another radio check from a different controller first just to verify that it was a problem on your end and not ATC. Hope this helps, and happy flying!

5586.png

Joseph Walburn 990824
Posted
Posted

Can't believe all the great help. If I had employees with as good an attitude as you guys have I wouldn't feel so bad about paying them such outrageously high wages. And to think you've done all this work as volunteers and enthusiasts. AMazing!!!Will look forward to flying with all of you. Again, my deepest regards.

Joe

Edward Mosier 902482
Posted
Posted

Hi Joseph, welcome to vatsim,

so as not to ask stupid questions

a wise man, my father, once said to me, "son, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers"

that being said, were do I go to sign up to get paid an outrageously high wage??

Captain Edward Mosier (1287)

"just an earthbound misfit am I..."

www.globecargova.org

Polar and Atlas Freight ops

RFP747-200 & PMDG 747-400

Now with DHL freight division using

Flight-1 ATR, and 727, and LevelD 767

Joel Cheng 971900
Posted
Posted

Hire me!Hire me!

We're a helpful bunch,as well as a fun bunch,if you ain't figured it out yet.

And I'm serious about you hiring me.

TWR_4806_Singapore.jpg

Brian Beach 915973
Posted
Posted
Hire me!Hire me!

We're a helpful bunch,as well as a fun bunch,if you ain't figured it out yet.

And I'm serious about you hiring me.

No, hire me! I have a higher rating!

Brian Beach

VatsimPHP Developer: http://www.bbflights.com/VatsimPHP/

AFA Detroit Hub Director: http://www.flyafa.com/

userbar603862kx9.gif

Paul Meyer 810173
Posted
Posted
I have read a great deal from the PRC so as not to ask stupid questions, but when I go to the ramp of a site that has controller interaction, I am afraid to ask him if he can hear my microphone. I can hear the back and forth of the other pilots and Center, but I just don't know how to see if they can hear me should I decide to fly a plan. I just don't want to upset the controllers or other pilots. Please help. Thanks much

Athens, OH

It's a video game, have a go at it, you ain't never gonna learn if you don't. Everyone has to start out somewhere. When you get to be a fancy pants controller someday you'll see plenty of people who are bigger r-tards when they started out than you..........and you'll see some quick learners too!

5498.png

David Reimer 913748
Posted
Posted

Welcome to VATSIM!

And on myself, and im sure alot of other people.

THANK YOU FOR READING THE PRC! You just have gained a very good level of repect from me that other new piolts dont get.

And ask questions, If I has asked more questions when I joined vatsim 2 years ago, I would of been a better piolt much quicker.-

Oh, let us how it goes and if the PRC does help you online. I want to show the "New Piolts" who do not read the PRC, Which in that case they are noobs, so they may finally read it. Its been improved big time since I first became a member.

signiture.jpg