You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Data format and structure for MSFS Vatsim traffic injection

Danre Fragapane 1301230

Danre Fragapane 1301230
Posted
Posted

Hey all,

I thought this would be one of the easiest ways of getting the info I need, or at least some clues. I'm working on the Fly-By-Wire A32Nx mod for MSFS, and am attempting to get TCAS working with Vatsim traffic.

I was wondering what the format and structure is for MSFS' Vatsim traffic injection. Figuring out exactly what the data looks like would help tremendously in diagnosing and implementing this for the mod.

If anyone has any knowledge of this, I would be very appreciative!

Danre Fragapane 1301230
Posted
Posted (edited)

I did just find FSInterrogate, I'm currently looking through that.

Edited by Danre Fragapane 1301230

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot uses SimConnect to inject traffic into the sim. Specifically, it uses the AICreateNonATCAircraft SimConnect function. Then, once the aircraft object is created, vPilot uses other SimConnect functions to update the aircraft's position, altitude, attitude, light states, gear state, etc. as the aircraft moves around.

I don't know for sure, but I assume that most aircraft TCAS gauges use SimConnect calls to get a list of nearby objects. You can request a specific type of object, which in this case would be "aircraft". MSFS may provide other ways to get a list of nearby aircraft, but I'm not sure. I haven't spent much time with their SDK.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Danre Fragapane 1301230
Posted
Posted

Thank you Ross, I appreciate the insight! I've been digging into the data with the interrogate app, and have been trying to think of reasons for it to not work. I'm thinking something with the way TCAS grabs the list of objects might be causing issues.

Lots of testing ahead for me, it seems!