Hi Nigel,

welcome to the club!

There are several ways to investigate the status of parking positions.

• an excellent way, in my opinion, is a freeware program called "Little Nav Map". It will read all your SIM-sceneries and then display airport details in its map. When you jump to an airport you will see who else is online at VATSIM and where they are parked

• another freeware program to do this is SimToolKitPro (choose "LiveMap", then go to an airport of your choice and zoom in)

• another way would be to just load your SIM at a gate of your choice and then connect to VATSIM in OBSERVER-mode only. This way you will be able to see everyone else, but they cannot see you (=no inconvenience caused to anyone). Select another parking spot if yours is taken already, then re-connect to VATSIM in normal mode

This list is not complete, there are other programs and websites to accomplish this task, have a look. I normally use LittleNavMap, but that's just me.

Posted (edited)

All that being said, my tactic is usually just to spawn in wherever I want (within a non-movement area, that is) -- and if I happen to find that I am on top of another aircraft, I will disconnect, move, and try again.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,

-R.

fvJfs7z.png

3 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

All that being said, my tactic is usually just to spawn in wherever I want (within a non-movement area, that is) -- and if I happen to find that I am on top of another aircraft, I will disconnect, move, and try again.

oh, you are one of those aircraft huggers! 😄

9 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

oh, you are one of those aircraft huggers! 😄

Does that mean that Bob's tactic, which I've seen suggested in a few posts, is for some reason not recommended? If so, why not? Note that Nigel is looking for useful advice.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.