Planning ahead for retiring VRC

• Board of Governors

VRC has been a stalwart of the VATSIM community for many years and I fondly remember doing all my training with it. Thanks Ross for making it such a fundamental part of the network.

I still use VRC to supervise on the network and will continue to do so until the very end!

• Like 2

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
President
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello all, I'm posting to let everyone know with as much advanced notice as possible, that I have begun planning for the eventual retirement of VRC. I have not done any new feature development fo

Step back for a minute and think how the real world systems keep trying to improve the interface so that the operator spends less mental capacity on using the tool and more on accomplishing the result

No disrespect intended here, but this is a little bit disingenuous here, as it really cheapens the value of what controllers who have been here a long while have to offer, especially without having a

Posted Images

I too couldn't agree with Ryan more.  I am here for the total enjoyment of "THE GAME".  Moving on to a radar client that would require a lot of training to become proficient at being an "real world" type atc controller, is not my idea of having fun.  My opinion is the KISS rule.  Having said all of that, I would be remiss in not thanking Ross for all his time and dedication to our community.

25 minutes ago, Dave Mayes said:

I am here for the total enjoyment of "THE GAME".

Total enjoyment, yes. Game, no, if that implies that we don't need to take VATSIM seriously. I think that taking it seriously involves a lot of learning.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

2 hours ago, Dave Mayes said:

Moving on to a radar client that would require a lot of training to become proficient at being an "real world" type atc controller, is not my idea of having fun.

I don't want people to get the wrong idea from this thread. vSTARS and vERAM have a little bit steeper learning curve, but it's not like riding a tricycle versus flying the space shuttle. If you can do VRC, you can do vSTARS and vERAM with just a tad more effort learning the command syntax. Many of the F-keys are the same. The main thing is that you don't have the convenience of the right-click dropdown, and that's something I might even add to the "tower cab mode" if that's the way things move forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

On 5/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, Gunnar Lindahl said:

VRC has been a stalwart of the VATSIM community for many years and I fondly remember doing all my training with it. Thanks Ross for making it such a fundamental part of the network.

I still use VRC to supervise on the network and will continue to do so until the very end!

I couldn't agree more. It has and always be a charm for supervisor duties! 🙂

Isaac Tan

Deputy Division Director, VATSIM Southeast Asia

Training Director, Singapore vACC

Network Supervisor

VATSEA_LOGO_LIGHT.thumb.png.829a78ffa5dd31d35e1e5a6b2af4787f.png1044835359_VATSIMNew.png.34e02dcdcf44828e4415a6bccf146c81.png

VATSEA Website | VATSEA Discord

One thing I would like to add is that VRC gives members (more specifically on events) the ability to load in Sector Files from other ARTCCs to be efficient at traffic management (TMU). I have a VRC profile that utilizes all of my 3 screens with the layouts of airports inside/outside my ARTCC which are important when I'm on that role which vERAM wouldn't allow me to. The ability to look at untracked planes and see their full flightplans is extremely helpful as well. When running training sessions on TwrTrainer or EuroScope I always have VRC open just because it simplifies my life. 

Don't get me wrong, I tasted vSTARS and vERAM and I hate controlling on VRC for terminal and above, but I still love the simplicity of running cab on VRC. There's so much that it's still used for that I don't feel it should be "thrown to the trash". I understand if it's not worth it to be further developed, but at least leaving it for non-active-controlling functions it's fine with me. 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, Cian Ormond said:

(also linux support lol, owen would agree with me, it's the only client i can't get to work)

Yes! If you can get both Linux and MacOS support that would be wonderful! I bet there are many people out there who can't control just because they aren't using Windows. This is especially for MacOS users.

31 minutes ago, Owen Wang said:

Yes! If you can get both Linux and MacOS support that would be wonderful! I bet there are many people out there who can't control just because they aren't using Windows. This is especially for MacOS users.

It is highly unlikely that I will make a cross-platform client. vSTARS and vERAM are very much tightly integrated with Windows as far as the UI is concerned, so it would require a complete rewrite of the UI using a cross-platform UI toolkit. Plus, I have no Mac to test on, and no desire to own one. :classic_biggrin:

I will leave it to other developers to make a Mac client.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Have spent the better part of the last decade on VRC, still my go to client. While it mayve unrealistic, and I can totally relate, as a casual hobbyist, I prefer the use of a mouse, especially for the topndown  we do here on VATSIM.
enroute only, I use vERAM, high traffic between only a couple of airports, or low traffic at local, I use Euroscope top down and a couple windows, high, traffic full ARTCC, I switch to VRC, like finisher in the events, I gotta use VRC. Respect to those who t able to do that on vERAM.

Totally respect the decision to retire clients and maintain less, and as a software developer, it makes perfect sense to not go back and fix something that old, when newer  tech is available. If vERAM had mouse capability tho, I might not miss VRC much. Really that’s the only thing stopping me from going full time to vERAM, at the moment. 

A huge thanks to you Ross, for all the clients, the continued support, and the future mods u r already planning. 

cheers!!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

17 hours ago, Owen Wang said:

With some workarounds, I am able to control with VRC on a Mac. Now granted that I am working on what will be a 10-year old Mac (I'm holding out for the next M-series), it's stil a Mac and works. 

Initially to get back into them, I built a Hackintosh out of old leftover parts I had from tearing down my Linux box (I had been on a Linux box for all personal work and a separate Windows box for ATC/simming for a good 10 years prior to doing this) just to try it out, then went all in and bought a Macbook Air. While Bootcamp works, if I wanted to dual boot a full copy of Windows, I'd have just built a box and dual booted. Plus, I'd have to eat the cost of an additional windows license. Same with Parallels. I also didn't want to run a VM, which would have been the same issue. So instead I went with CrossOver, which allows me to run VRC natively on MacOS. It still works to this day.

It looks like the latest version supports Apple Silicon, so I wouldn't be surprised if VRC works there as well. I don't see anything listed for compatibility for vERAM or vSTARS (but then again, I don't know if they have been tested). But there are avenues for that if an ATC client isn't developed natively for the Mac.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller