You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Pilot Deviation

Kaleb Martin

Kaleb Martin
Posted
Posted

What happens if a controller give me a pilot deviation?

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

What is a pilot deviation? If it's an instruction to take a particular route, you follow the instruction and take that route. If you can't, you say "Unable" and ATC will attempt to give you a route which you can take.

You may have filed your preferred route in your flight plan, but ATC is empowered to change that according to traffic needs, and that may be what you are talking about. The fact is that once you have filed a flight plan, it belongs to ATC and not to you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Kaleb Martin
Posted
Posted

So i can still fly?

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kaleb Martin said:

So i can still fly?

What do you mean? What circumstances do you refer to by saying "still?"

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Alistair, I believe he's referring to when ATC tells the pilot they have made a "pilot deviation" meaning they didn't follow ATC instructions properly. Not a pilot-requested deviation from the route such as for weather.

Kaleb, controllers cannot punish pilots for deviations on VATSIM. The only punitive action comes from supervisors, for violations of VATSIM regulations, and generally only if you are a repeat offender. You would know if that's the case.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kaleb Martin said:

So i can still fly?

The controller was just trying to tell you there was a procedure or instruction you didn't follow properly.  Try to figure out what it was so you can improve for next time.  Other than that, keep flying.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I believe he's referring to when ATC tells the pilot they have made a "pilot deviation" meaning they didn't follow ATC instructions properly

Ah. I misunderstood, thanks.

Alistair Thomson

===

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

IRL, "pilot deviation" means that a pilot has deviated from mandatory procedures, or otherwise violated the rules, and there will be some aftermath to this - paperwork, investigation, questioning, and possibly disciplinary action, depending on the findings.

We don't do any of that aftermath on VATSIM, so if an ATCO says "pilot deviation", then that's just a way of saying that you did something wrong that would have serious consequences IRL, like turning the wrong way, landing on the wrong runway, busting your altitude clearance, flying VFR into controlled airspace without clearance, flying past your clearance limit, etc. etc., but on VATSIM, there are no consequences. The only things that can get you disciplined are violations of the Code Of Conduct and similar rules, and it's not controllers who get to police those, only supervisors can do that.

23.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tobias Dammers said:

[...] like turning the wrong way, landing on the wrong runway, busting your altitude clearance, flying VFR into controlled airspace without clearance, flying past your clearance limit, etc. etc., but on VATSIM, there are no consequences. [...]

... as long as you did one of those things by mistake and not in deliberate, willful disregard of a controller's instruction. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted
Just now, Robert Shearman Jr said:

... as long as you did one of those things by mistake and not in deliberate, willful disregard of a controller's instruction. 

...which would be a violation of COC B8, so.

• Like 1
23.png