You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Swift on Widows XP

Ryan Renz

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I am getting back into flying and VATSIM.  Downloaded Swift 9.5.151 32bit and installed.

Duringthe installation I get this message:

Problem running post-install setup.  Installation may not be complete correctly

Unknown error while running C:\Program Files\swift-0.9.5-32bit/bin/swiftlauncher -i

--bootstrapurl http://data store.swift-project.org/shared/ &

I click OK and it finishes the install, I get a setup wizard stating Swift has completed setup on my system, I clock okay again and that's it.

But if I go to programs and try to run any of the Swift software I get an error box stating ... is not a valid Win32 application.

Is there something I am missing?

I'm continuing my search online in the meantime.

In My (virtual) Hangar:

C172 :: C-FXMY

M20M :: C-GRYR

Baron 58 :: C-TVUY

nebojsa milosavljevic
Posted
Posted

I believe swift needs a minimum of Windows7

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Someone should know definitively, but I think there are people running it on XP.

Too bad we couldn't use FSInn still.  Everything always has to be upgraded even when things work fine.

Thank you for your reply.

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Yes, I obviously did see that page, thank you.  However I also noticed Windows 7 doesn't even meet the requirements.

I'm going to see if I can track down an earlier version that might install.  If not, I suppose I'll have to scrap everything, purchase a brand-new system, OS, and the new flight simulator software; lots of time and money...

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Apparently FS9/XP can be made to work. Not supported, which was Claude's point, but doable. Maybe a PM to Philip Cohen to see what versions he had success with?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Claude ROULLIER said:

May be this one

Yes, that's the one I mentioned from Philip Cohen.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• 7 months later...
Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

I still haven't been successful in getting this to work.  I went online and downloaded the oldest variant of the software I could find to no avail, it still won't run.

I'll attach a screen shot of the error on install, however the install does go through and completes "successfully".

20220219_094231.jpg

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can understand that, but I was hoping to get it installed first; and then hope to update it and have it patch itself to work?! - something to that effect

Just trying everything I can. 

Edited by Ryan Renz
Spelling correction

In My (virtual) Hangar: