You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

If I'm approaching a airport with no center or approach control or tower control do I contact ground or stay on unicom until i land?

Graeme Irick Burtis

Graeme Irick Burtis
Posted
Posted (edited)

Title says it itself

Edited by GTNT Animations

• Graeme Irick Burtis changed the title to If I'm approaching a airport with no center or approach control or tower control do I contact ground or stay on unicom until i land?
Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted

You can tune into ground before you land, but you only need to talk to them once vacated.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Expanding on Lars' comment, you would therefore stay with UNICOM until vacating the runway. The runway is owned by Tower and Ground is below that in the ATC hierarchy, so they will not wish to handle you until you are vacated. You can, as Lars said, tune Ground on the standby and switch from UNICOM on the active frequency when ready.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Generally speaking, if a lower controller is on but a higher controller is not, you contact that lower controller at around the same time you would have been handed off to them by the higher controller had they been on.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Graeme Irick Burtis
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the help! I know vatsim has the bottom up ATC system where if clearance isn't online you would contact ground but I didn't know if it had a similar thing for landings 

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GTNT Animations said:

I know vatsim has the bottom up ATC system

Nope. It's a top-down system. So for example if an airfield has ATC cover for Tower, that would also cover Ground and Delivery, but not Approach/Departure or Control/Center.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• 1 month later...
John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

I wish I had found this thread earlier.