You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VatSpy Opens but nowhere to be found

Andrew Hill

Andrew Hill
Posted
Posted

Tried opening Vatspy today after moving. My setup used to have two monitors, so maybe that's causing the issue, but I load Vatspy and I can't see the application even though it says its running. Tried a reinstall with no dice. Any idea what the issue could be?

Bill Royko
Posted
Posted

Yes, it sounds like VatSpy is displaying in the location where the second monitor once was. You can fix this by changing the configuration file.

1. Locate the file VATSpyConfig.xml. The default location is C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\VAT-Spy.

2. Edit this file with a text editor. Don’t use a word processor such as MS Word or WordPad.

3. Find the LastWindowLocation tag. Should look something like this:

<LastWindowLocation>

<X>4520</X>

<Y>500</Y>

</LastWindowLocation>

4. Change the values as follows:

<LastWindowLocation>

<X>50</X>

<Y>50</Y>

</LastWindowLocation>

5. Save the file

6. Start VatSpy

Andrew Hill
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Bill Royko said:

Yes, it sounds like VatSpy is displaying in the location where the second monitor once was. You can fix this by changing the configuration file.

1. Locate the file VATSpyConfig.xml. The default location is C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\VAT-Spy.

2. Edit this file with a text editor. Don’t use a word processor such as MS Word or WordPad.

3. Find the LastWindowLocation tag. Should look something like this:

<LastWindowLocation>

<X>4520</X>

<Y>500</Y>

</LastWindowLocation>

4. Change the values as follows:

<LastWindowLocation>

<X>50</X>

<Y>50</Y>

</LastWindowLocation>

5. Save the file

6. Start VatSpy

This worked perfectly, thank you!

• 5 months later...
Roger Flitter
Posted
Posted

I have had a problem with VATSpy failing to start for a few months now.  I have tried a new installation and I have applied the LastWindowLocation fix recommended above without success.  The application loads but there is no data whatsoever in Flights, Pilots, Controllers etc etc.  Occasionally I can get it torun correctly by doing a restart on my PC.  I am running Windows 10 64 Bit and have both a widescreen (3440X1440) and a second Monitor (1280X1024).  the problem exists as described above irrespective of which Monitor I am using.

I can supply more information if required meanwhile, be grateful for any guidance.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Roger Flitter said:

The application loads but there is no data whatsoever in Flights, Pilots, Controllers etc etc.

It sounds like you might not be running the updated version.  Can you confirm?  If not, you may find it here: https://vatspy.rosscarlson.dev/

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Roger Flitter
Posted
Posted

Hi Rob. Thank you for your prompt reply.  I was running Version 1.3.3 at the time of the problem.  Since I logged the problem, having made the Last Location modification to the configfile, intially the problem remained.  Hoever, I have since done a PC restart and it all worksevery time now.  Notwithstanding that, I re-installed it anyway and it remains good and stable.

Thanks for your assistance.  Roger