You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The ENDLESS problem

Omar Grande Feij

Omar Grande Feij
Posted
Posted

Good day,

Could someone explain to me what happens with the ATIS in vatsim? I haven't listen anything for months, neither as a pilot nor as ATC.

I do it from the euroscope and have also tried VATIS, NONE works. This situation seems frustrating to me and I do not understand vatsim does NOTHING about it.

Could all the divisions get together and put together a viable server and solve the problem?

I don't understand how vatsim's software management has done nothing about it for months.

Thank you in advanced.

• Like 1

Omar Grande Feij
Posted
Posted

Hello Andreas,

I don't understand the rhetorical question you asked. It is evident that it is a non-profit organization.

But a minimum of maintenance and dedication is expected when entering the staff, ATIS manage is a mess since moths ago.

best regards,

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

My point was: yes, it would be nice if voice ATIS worked all the time. But since this is a non-profit 100% volunteer organization, only so much can be done. And no demands can or shall be made. Yes, one can politely ask, but it's a thin line where it gets too demanding and I do not feel that we can make demands here.

Don't forget that all VATSIM staff mainly have a private and professional life outside the network and I am grateful that a number of very motivated and skilled individuals have come forward to create and implement a new voice system, a new server system, new server software with rapid position updates (soon) etc. and keep contributing for the better of VATSIM, of us all.

My take is: yes, voice ATIS is great! But if we can only received the textual version, it's not a big thing, too. Modern aircraft can receive digital ATIS for many airports in the world and while at work I very much prefer requesting a text ATIS, because I can still monitor my main COM frequency.

Omar Grande Feij
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello Andreas,

I am not going to continue with this conversation since I see your opinion.

It is obvious that is voluntary and I fully understand that people have their private lives, but I repeat that when someone enters the staff they require a minimum of hours and dedication to keep the network updated . I think they should listen to the criticisms of the users to make the network BETTER.

On how to say things, I have simply said that for MONTHS to me and many colleagues the ATIS of the euroscope has not worked, if someone has taken it wrong, it is not the idea. The  idea is to work for a solution when the person/group in charge has time and desire.

For months there has not been a clear policy on how to use ATIS, since euroscope is not responsible for voice problems, that is why people use V-ATIS and other options, which are not reliable and official either, so for me is not a clear policy how to act.

Regarding whether you prefer datalink or not, let's let vatsim choose the best option and make it official, but when someone waits for voice ATIS and it doesn't work, there we have a problem, because you lose the inversion of reality. 

regards!

Edited by Omar Grande Feij
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1