You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can't connect - Invalid CID\Password

Yehonathan Peretz

Yehonathan Peretz
Posted
Posted

I get this error. 

image.png.9c040ccf666b4bf017513178fd9ffecc.png

I did all it says. Waited 24 hours and more, checked the ID and password again. Also I wrote it and not copied it to make sure.

Nothing works

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

You posted this before you completed the New Member Orientation.  Members cannot connect to the network until completing the New Member Orientation.  I see you have since connected.  Welcome!

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

William Teale
Posted
Posted

Would it be viable to have a dedicated error message which explains that?

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, William Teale said:

If "invalid CID/password" is not enough and the repeated and repeated info during registration is not enough, and Don's post in Announcements is not enough, I'm not sure that anything would be enough.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

If "invalid CID/password" is not enough and the repeated and repeated info during registration is not enough, and Don's post in Announcements is not enough, I'm not sure that anything would be enough.

I disagree. "Invalid CID/password" is a bad error code if neither the CID nor the password is invalid.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

:) good point.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

The current error message, "invalid CID/password" is valid for a few different possibilities:

1. The member a CID/password combination that is not eligible to connect due to lack of completing the New Member Orientation.

2. The member input an incorrect CID.

3. The member input an incorrect password.

4. The member's account is administratively disabled.

5. The member's account is disabled due to disciplinary reasons.

6. Anything else that I'm not thinking of at the moment because I'm in a work meeting while typing this 🙂

The server is only smart enough to allow connections that are allowed based on 1. correct CID and password combination, and 2. eligible to connect.  All the software clients know is that the server rejected the login.  At least at present it can't be more specific and tell you why.  That's why we list the information in 16 different places for people to search, find, understand and resolve on their own (though many, sadly, don't).  🙂 

• Like 1

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, William Teale said:

I while ago, I asked the network team to update the server to provide a valid reason for connection failures, but it hasn't happened yet. From what I know about how the infrastructure was set up, I think it's non-trivial to make this change, as simple as it may seem to an outsider.

I have it on my list to override the "invalid CID/password" error in vPilot and show a more accurate error that lists all the possible causes for that error, which Don just listed. I would encourage all client developers to do the same, until the server can be fixed to provide a proper, specific error.

• Like 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC