You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flightplan to Iceland from Europe

Marie Osmos

Marie Osmos
Posted
Posted

Hi all!

I trying to create flight plan to Keflavik from Europe.
As I understand after reading "Guide to Iceland", on first contact to controller I must expect random waypoints between entry and exit wp.
It's ok for modern planes with CDU units, but barelly imposible when using INS like CIVA.

Can I on first contact with Iceland Radio say "unable" and request direct route between entry and exit waypoints?
Or I must use G3 airway (VALDI CONNY MY LARUX ROSTI ING), which, how I can understand, don't need oceanic clearance?

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Marie,

can't you insert new waypoints (as coordinates) in your CIVA INS when you already have a number of existing points?

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Marie Osmos
Posted
Posted

Hi Andreas, thanks for answering.

Yes, I can... But this breaks the sequence of waypoints of the route, because there is no easy possibility to insert
new points into route, at least for me. Usually I prepare some ADEU cards for my route and load them in order.

But there is possibility to use second CIVA, which I use as backup, filling it with oceanic points given in clearance.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hello Marie,

okay, this seems to be a limitation of the simulated CIVA INS that you are using, right? I take the risk of being wrong, but the real world pendant has the possibility to insert new points within the route.

Have you used (free) flight planning services like SimBrief or vroute? They should come with a good number of existing flightplans, probably for your city-pair, too.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Is this the Delco Carousel IV-A INS? If so, SimuFly lists "complete input sequences support" as a feature. Maybe you could pop a post into their forum?

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Marie Osmos
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Is this the Delco Carousel IV-A INS?

Yes, it is, from SimuFly.

52 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

this seems to be a limitation of the simulated CIVA INS that you are using

No, it's not limitation of simulated INS. May be I use wrong words for describing the situation. 🙂 It's mainly my limitations. SimuFly's CIVA work as real CIVA, as I think, and of course allow enter waypoints at any time. 

Ok, let's imagine that I want fly from EGAA to BIKF. Then my flight plan will be next: "EGAA N0460F290 MAC GOW ORSUM STN BILLY BARKU RATSU
BASLU KFV BIKF" where RATSU will be entry point and BASLU exit point. After ORSUM I must call Iceland Radio for oceanic clearance.

My first ADEU card will be next:

2 N 55*25.8 W 005*39.0 ; MAC
3 N 55*52.2 W 004*26.7 ; GOW
4 N 57*03.1 W 005*17.7 ; ORSUM
5 N 58*12.4 W 006*11.0 ; STN
6 N 60*01.2 W 008*34.1 ; BILLY
7 N 60*36.3 W 009*24.6 ; BARKU
8 N 61*00.0 W 010*00.0 ; RATSU
9 N 63*11.3 W 021*16.3 ; BASLU

Suppose I get clearance right after ORSUM, and my active WP now is STN. How many points I get in clearance? Because I can enter at this moment only 5, on positions
9, 1, 2, 3 and 4. And I shouldn't forget return BASLU to the list when it will be possible.

My B722 have two INS and of course I can leave first INS loaded with prefiled waypoints and use second for inserting waypoints from clearance, but no more than 9 at once.

And my problem is to do that in parallel with controlling the plane. I am still horrified to imagine what I will do if the controller asks me to fly directly to the point that is on another ADEU card...

Anyway, can I request direct route from entry to exit or not? If not, I will be use G3 airway as mostly RW planes which I see at flightradar24. At least until I start input new waypoints at 0.9M. 🙂

1 hour ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Have you used (free) flight planning services like SimBrief or vroute?

No, I use LittleNavMap for flight planning. It's give better control over planning process.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

If you don't know SimBrief and vroute, check them out, they are free as well and contain a huge flight plan database. You can still import those routes to LNM (I use it as well) and then export them for your INS.

Marie Osmos
Posted
Posted

Yes, I know about SimBrief and vroute.net. As I say before, I prefer use LNM, because I have full control about flight planning. And I don't like use SimBreaf, because most of their routes don't pass over Eurocontrol FPL validator. Why do I need another tool when LNM can generate routes as good as SimBrief? 🙂  And in this case edi-gla.co.uk is more reliable source of existing real flight plans.