You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Proper communication for VFR landing within class D airspace

Paul Gerst

Paul Gerst
Posted
Posted

Hi. My question is around the proper communication for a VFR flight when landing at an untowered airport that is "within" the class D airspace of another airport. In this example, I wish to fly VFR from KSNC to 0B8. This airfield (0B8) is bordered by 1 NM of the KGON class D airspace. Generally speaking, in this area there are no controllers at KGON, rather it is covered by Boston Center.

Here is what I think needs to happen. I'd appreciate any comments, corrections, or other advice. I've copied the sectional below.

I assume I would take off from KSNC communicating on 122.8. Approximately 10 nm from KGON I'd contact Boston Center (or KGON tower if there was one) asking to cross into class D airspace with the intention to land at 0B8. Once granted, I would monitor Boston Center and continue to communicate on 122.8 for landing at 0B8.

Thanks,
Paul

image.png.476747797453e3e6b453d964ae77630d.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi, Paul --

First, look very carefully at the boundary for that Delta (the dotted blue line).  Are you SURE that 0B8 is WITHIN it?

image.png.15bac0767ad3289786b367a3a35bbaaf.png

Second, given your answer to my first question, that should inform on your choices.  It is POSSIBLE to navigate from Chester to Elizabeth without entering any airspace you NEED to be in touch with ATC for if you're VFR.  However, another option (and arguably a better, safer one) would be to do as you suggested -- which is to get in contact with the controller handling KGON's Delta.  Once on their frequency, state their callsign, your callsign, your position and altitude, and your intentions -- "Groton Tower, Cessna 514DV, ten miles west of the field at 2,500, transitioning the Delta toward the south inbound for full-stop at Elizabeth, Zero-Bravo-Eight."  As soon as they respond with your callsign (and say anything aside from "remain outside the Groton Class Delta"), you've met the requirements for two-way communication and may proceed as requested.  If they give you a restriction to position or altitude you must abide by it.  You'd then let them know when you're about to change frequencies to the CTAF for Elizabeth (which just so happens to coincide with the published one here, 122.8) to make your pattern announcements.

In your question you stated that Boston Center or Groton Tower are the controllers you might be speaking to.  Just to be clear, you MIGHT be talking to an Approach position (Boston Consolidated?  Providence?) who would inherit this space in the absence of GON_TWR, before it falls to Center.  One of the BVARTCC controllers can probably tell you more about that.  But as long as you generally know how top-down works and that there could be any number of controllers handling the duties of Groton Tower in this example, it sounds like you've got the gist of it.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
clarified top-down considerations with respect to original question

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Paul Gerst
Posted
Posted

Robert, thank you very much for the response. Yes, I am aware 0B8 is not within the class D airspace (from above: " This airfield (0B8) is bordered by 1 NM of the KGON class D airspace."). I figured this distance was a bit tight for a pattern. Not being a real life pilot I had just assumed the safest would be to obtain the communication with KGON. Typically, this is Boston Center for this area.

Thanks again for your response.

Paul

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

It's definitely not a bad idea to contact ATC even when you're unsure whether it's strictly necessary. If it's not necessary, they'll just tell you so, and you can be on your merry way; if it is, then good thing you called in.

Plus it would be a bit silly to make that detour around the Delta and then maneuver in the tight space around the field just so you don't have to talk to anyone. I would assume the reason Elizabeth isn't inside the Delta is mainly so that southbound departures from there don't have to talk to ATC, but for arrivals and northbound departures, going through the Delta would be the obvious (easier, safer) choice, all else being equal. Personally, I would only route around the Delta if ATC explicitly asked me to stay clear.

23.png

Paul Gerst
Posted
Posted

Thanks. I was thinking that same thing (about  the departures) after I logged off last night.