You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First Timer

Jason Smith

Jason Smith
Posted
Posted

Good evening forum,

I am still trying to build up the courage to hop on the network and try it out, but I do have a question I can't seem to find a definitive answer for. I would be flying VFR circuit out of CYTS. From what I can tell, that would be Toronto Control.

I do see someone is on for Toronto Centre, would I actually be speaking to a controller there? or do I just use unicom and communicate intentions? I guess what I am asking is in remote locations such as mine, would I ever be talking to someone, or just broadcasting unicom?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

If CYTS has a control tower, then that ATC position's duties get inherited by the overlying positions if they are staffed but Tower isn't.  If CYTS is a non-towered field, pattern work there would be on 122.8 regardless of what staffing is or isn't online.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Jason Smith
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert,

CYTS is a non towered airport, I guess where I wasn't 100% sure was when I would look at the vatsim map for ATC. I could see that the airport fell in "Toronto Control" and that Toronto Centre was "online".

So I wasn't sure if that's who I would talk to.

Thanks.