You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Vatsys Freeze - Repeatable via Opening 2nd Map Window

Matthew Ellem

Matthew Ellem
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

First and foremost... fantastic program. When it works, its excellent.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing regular program freezes. They have occurred seemingly without prompt (no user input at the time), on recieving an repeating error message (helicopter landing at a hospital near wollongong producing an error code), and whenever I open a second map window.

The last error mentioned above is repeatable, offline & online, 100% of the time. I open the window, select position, move into place and freeze. If it doesn't happen immediately, it'll happen within 10 seconds.

Majority of freeze, program becomes unresponsive and requires force quit via task manager to rectify. Occassionally, i get a graphical freeze where the program remain responsive to input excluding rendering (screen becomes distorted, tags will replicate at each step producing a long "tag train" and if the screen display is altered slightly (pan / zoom), all is unreadable.

I found a debug.log buried within the directory of Vatsys, which is as follows;

[0921/144637.038:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(426)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is angle
[0921/144637.049:ERROR:gl_context_egl.cc(277)] eglCreateContext failed with error EGL_BAD_ATTRIBUTE
[0921/144637.049:ERROR:gpu_channel_manager.cc(767)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: Failed to create shared context for virtualization.
[0921/144637.049:ERROR:shared_image_stub.cc(470)] SharedImageStub: unable to create context
[0921/144637.049:ERROR:gpu_channel.cc(449)] GpuChannel: Failed to create SharedImageStub
[0921/144836.798:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(426)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled

GPU is RTX2080Super. The above lead me to believe GPU driver issue, but since updated with same error. G-Sync is disabled (as far as I can tell).

I will DM Jake the DxDiag (there's some stuff in the last pages mentioning Vatsys that could be of use.

Appreciate all the help in advance.

Matt

Matthew Ellem
Posted
Posted

Another add to hopefully assist.

This is the "Running_Log" for today. No actual running was performed today, only freezes.

Untitled document (1).pdf

Matt

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt

The recorded errors do look identical to a multi-monitor G-Sync issue reported previously that I haven't been able to resolve. Can you attach a screenshot from the corresponding page of the Nvidia control panel? The issue was occuring only when the second radio button "Enable for windowed and full screen mode" was selected.

You might also try temporarily disconnecting one of the monitors and seeing if you can recreate the crash at all on a single monitor 

image.png.7dff245d851c76c85da9d745997aae32.png

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Matthew Ellem
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake,

Nvidia control panel doesn't have an option for G-Sync available (i'm guessing due to the lack of G-Sync compatible monitors available to it). Image attached (developer mode).

I have since completed a GPU driver clean and reinstall with no success.

Steps to recreate problem (works 100% of the time); Open Vatsys -> Load Sydney TCU profile -> Open 2nd Ground Window (selecting SY GND display with ASMGS enabled) -> Drag to new position -> Resize window

The resizing of the window triggers the freeze / crash every time without fail.

Can recreate the problem every single time with only 1 monitor connected using the above steps (for my sake, each monitor was tested separately)

I guess my only option is to attempt to source a G-Sync compatible monitor to enable that setting window, to ensure G-Sync is 100% disabled.

NvidiaPanel.png.20518ddbd1c94ff40a0448aa5e4ec460.png

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting.

Do you have any screen sharing or overlay applications running or anything at all that could be interfering with DirectX?

Also, what settings do you have for "Vertical Sync" and "Monitor Technology" in global 3D settings?

image.png.3e08b6f5cfabd244db17112f095b0460.png

Edited by Jake Saw

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Matthew Ellem
Posted
Posted

Hi Jake,

All setting attached.

Single monitor, G-Sync 100% confirmed disabled. Needed to borrow a monitor to make sure.

Gsync.png.1cabeb3e16c2180763baab50bcb97b65.png

The following are all the 3d settings applied globally (Vatsys is not listed as an exception currently).

3d-1.png.3f725638ac99fafc87742157fa27015f.png3d-2.png.725b4778c666508da0485f73a24f1c39.png3d-3.png.d141f81d28623927f02cf84b7ee9e7f7.png

Additionally, new Debug Log generated during running the above monitor, same error is being produced within that

DebugLog.thumb.png.0a87c7119af9268e1ce77566ae30f561.png

Another excerpt from the Running_Log located in documents... this is the most recent crash by time.

RunningLog.thumb.png.91541c0bb4a85b6a9ef76d3252a9b0cd.png

I dont have any screen recording software installed, outside of Nvidia experience & Discord (if you would even call it that).

Thanks for your reply as always.

Matt

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

The debug log file you’re attaching is from the chromium web browser used by vatsys, not my code, so it’s interesting that it too is having issues.

I don’t know what the cause is I’m afraid 

Jake

Developer - vatSys

Matthew Ellem
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this helps at all or not, but I'm thinking it's only crashing when the 2nd display window being moved / resized are overlapping another VATSYS window. If they are spread out, regardless if they are over different application windows or desktop, it doesn't crash (so long as it's not a VATSYS overlap). I'll need to do some more testing to make sure but had my first lengthy session with VATSYS without crash using this method. 

If this was a known recommendation already and I missed it, that's my bad, but got the idea from looking at other users VATSYS screen layouts. I'll come back in a few days hopefully if that method works fine.

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

I found and fixed a bug in the way vatSys was handling a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error - that build is live now. I'm fairly confident that it's not vatSys causing that error in the first place, but now at least it should recover okay when it happens (you might notice a stutter).

• Thanks 2

Jake

Developer - vatSys