You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

What Is The Best/Most Used Sim?

Asher Broadhead

Asher Broadhead
Posted
Posted

Hi I am a newbie and was wondering what sim I should buy. I mainly want one that lots of people use so I can have some good interactions.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Asher Broadhead said:

Hi I am a newbie and was wondering what sim I should buy. I mainly want one that lots of people use so I can have some good interactions.

Depending on what you mean by "interactions", it doesn't matter. All pilots connect to the same VATSIM network, regardless of sim. When you encounter another user online, you don't know which sim they're flying unless they tell you.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Which sim you buy is a function of MANY considerations.  Which one can your PC run smoothly while supporting all secondary functions like comms and charts (some of which can be offloaded to a second PC if you have the resources)?  Which one has the aircraft types you're most interested in now, and offers the level of realistic aircraft systems simulation you want?  Which sim you choose might end up be a compromise based on figuring out which of those questions is the most important.  Or you might end up choosing more than one -- currently I fly most General Aviation stuff on MSFS2020, and most of my airliner stuff on X-Plane 11, for example.

But as Ross said, which sim allows you to interact more on VATSIM isn't a consideration.  VATSIM is a single global world that all pilots and controllers connect to together, regardless of (a) which sim or ATC client they use, and (b) which FSD server they connect to.  We all end up interacting with one another regardless.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Mike Teague
Posted
Posted (edited)

last CTP showed this:

ctpvolanta1349z.thumb.PNG.b336e00be57b9eadd4b3e24b91dffd7b.PNG

but i suspect that has more to do with the availability of suitable aircraft (pmdg, etc)

Edited by Mike Teague

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For a more general picture, you could look at the last Navigraph survey:

image.png.4b71c1abf761f9345bcf70d59505782d.png

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC