You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATIS problems

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

I am using X-Plane 11 with xSquawkbox and I am wondering if there is a way of recieving ATIS messages by text.

I have been on several flights and I have only been able to get ATIS once (and that was by way of text)  I have never been able to pick it up on my radio and I can't see an option on xSquawbox to enable text notifications, I am assuming the text message I got before was from ATC.

It has not been too big an issue,  but the other night I did have to ask ATC which runway was in use,  and it would help if I knew way in advance before I even got in contact with ATC so I could have everything set up for my approach.

Dustin Rider
Posted
Posted

I know voice ATIS hasn't been working all that well for a while, but I believe the issue has been worked and possibly resolved. Text ATIS is always available but only when a controller is providing one. If you're flying through Chicago center's airspace and planning on landing at KCID, for example, you won't be able to get a controller-provided ATIS unless there's a controller working a CID position as opposed to vZAU covering CID top-down. That's because vZAU is likely providing an ATIS for ORD, MDW, or MKE, depending on staffing. All that notwithstanding, you can still pull up the METAR for the airport and figure out the best runway to use based on that data. There are several towered airports that do just that, in fact. KTOP is one. As you near the airport, you'll tune in the AWOS frequency which spits out weather-related data, but doesn't say anything about runways in use or provide NOTAMs. When you check in with TOP tower, you just state that you have "the numbers" or "the one-minute weather" and they'll sequence you into their active runway.

• Thanks 1

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

OK thanks,  I think I found the site i need....

https://metar-taf.com/