You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Formal Warning COC A8 - How to go forward?

Pieter Maas

Pieter Maas
Posted
Posted

Dear Community,

Moments ago I have been issues a Formal warning because: "on two separate occasions on the same night (day), within hours of an earlier disconnect from another supervisior I connected again using a duplicate connection."
The first disconnect was because (also received notification for that) I did not respond to messages from a supervisor (CoC A15).

Yes, the CoC clearly states that only one connection is allowed. I did not know that was also the case for a second observer session.
Now I have three questions following this Formal Warning:

1. How would I observe the airport (from a tower perspective) in MSFS2020 while also observing Euroscope (for learning purposes to eventually become an ATC)?
(I followed the tutorials from DutchVacc on how to set everything up. Meaning I use vPilot for in the sim and 'Audio for Vatsim' to use with Euroscope).

2. How do I continue troubleshooting Model Matching issues in MSFS2020?
(I'm not talking about liveries not properly matched but actual invisible airplanes, because of forementioned learning purposes. I used Euroscope to get a proper visual on what airplanes I should see as otherwise this problem is really hard to tackle).

3. How do I get rid of the formal warning? I feel that there was no leniency (probably because I didn't inmediately respond to a supervisor).

With kind regards,
Pieter Maas

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

1.  Not sure about Euroscope, but vSTARS creates a local proxy server on your machine which your Pilot Client can connect to.  Thus you only have the singular connection to the network; namely, the radar client.

2.  Not sure how this is related to your main issue, but, try troubleshooting the sim using only the sim.  Or, by the connection method described above.

3.  I'm not on the Sup team but my gut tells me that the answer is, you don't.  You ran afoul of the rules and you were warned.  The record exists so that if you do it again, the next Sup (of which there are dozens) has some clue that you've been talked to about it already once before.  If you don't want adverse action against your account, your course of action is simple: don't do it again.  My personal feeling is that you really don't need to get yourself bent out of shape because there's a blemish on your record on a flight simulation network.  I doubt it will hold up any job offers you're in the running for.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Pieter Maas
Posted
Posted

I will look into that, Euroscope also seems to have something like that, not sure how vPilot would connect to it though?
Do you have any sources that explain how the proces works with vSTARS in combination with vPilot?

It was related in such way that I used the radar overview in Euroscope to see the exact positions of others on the network so that I could compare it to the simulator and the .aircraft window.
(I don't know of any other way to do that).
I can't troubleshoot without being on the network because then I wouldn't see other traffic so nothing to model match to.

I did ran afoul of the rules, so the warning was fair. I'm really just afraid that I do something else on the network (unintenionally or without bad intentions) I will get banned as I have read stories on Reddit.

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

To run a tower view through vPilot, simply type .towerview in vPilot while being connected to VATSIM through EuroScope.

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Pieter Maas
Posted
Posted

Just to be clear.

If I connect to Vatsim via Euroscope and then Audio for Vatsim, open up vPilot and type in .towerview (without clicking connect first), I am not breaking the rules anymore?
I noticed that without running Euroscope vPilot just responds with connection failed to my loopback address which kinda makes sense that it connects via the proxy of euroscope.
I just want to be absolutely sure I am not breaking the rules anymore.

Isn't Euroscope and Audio for Vatsim already two connections?

Thanks in advance.

Mateusz Zymla
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Pieter Maas said:

Just to be clear.

If I connect to Vatsim via Euroscope and then Audio for Vatsim, open up vPilot and type in .towerview (without clicking connect first), I am not breaking the rules anymore?
I noticed that without running Euroscope vPilot just responds with connection failed to my loopback address which kinda makes sense that it connects via the proxy of euroscope.
I just want to be absolutely sure I am not breaking the rules anymore.

Thanks in advance.

.towerview connects exactly to given proxy server running by ES.

ES and AFV are separate things. AFV isn't "network" connection, to the FSD server.

Mateusz Zymla - 1131338

VATSIMer since 2009, IRL pilot rated.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Pieter Maas said:

That's right. The .towerview command will initiate a connection to the ES proxy. You can specify an IP address if you happen to run vPilot and ES on different machines.

23 minutes ago, Pieter Maas said:

ES connects to the network server, AFV connects to the voice server. This is allowed. You just can't have multiple controller or pilot connections to the network server.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted (edited)

2. How do I continue troubleshooting Model Matching issues in MSFS2020?

The only way I know of is to have one of your online friends on line at the same time so you can experiment with your matching issues. Obviously you have to have same aircraft in your community folder and same .vmr file(s) if you are using vPilot.

Edited by Ross Carlson

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

And please don't pay attention to most of the [garbage] on reddit....  Everyone slips up on occasion.  We are looking for folks to be good members of our community.  An occasional slipup doesn't mean you're not a good member of our community.  It means you are human!  The people that intentionally choose not to follow our simple rules on a regular basis (including, sadly, some people that like to be trolls) are the folks that we typically worry about.  We're nearing 800,000 registrations on VATSIM; only a very, very small percentage of people run afoul to the point where disciplinary action is warranted.  I don't want to overgeneralize, but I generally think that a lot of the folks on Reddit that like to post/complain either fell *far* afoul of the rules and had (warranted) disciplinary action taken against them, and/or they just like to talk....  The good news is that, taken with a grain of salt, it is (sometimes) valuable feedback that gives us an idea of what the overall flight sim community is looking for, and we've employed course corrections based on that feedback.  But it takes a big, strong filter to filter out a lot of the [garbage] that you can read on Reddit and other social media platforms....  🙂

• Like 2

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations