You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

4.02 Unclear Wording

Jonathan Fong

Jonathan Fong
Posted
Posted

I believe the current wording of 4.02 (in the most recent revised draft released on 10/27) is somewhat unclear. The current wording is:

A Sub-Division or Division may designate at least one but not more than 30% (rounded down) of all controllable aerodromes and terminal facilities, whichever is higher, within that Sub-Division or Division as Restricted Airspace.

I feel the phrasing "may designate at least one" might unintentionally convey that a Sub-Division or Division is expected or even required to "designate at least one" aerodrome or terminal facility as Restricted Airspace. Even if a strict 'letter of the law' reading of the rule may reveal this not to be the case, I feel that the intent of the rule would be better conveyed as such:

A Sub-Division or Division may, but is not required to, designate at least one but not more than 30% (rounded down) of controllable aerodromes and terminal facilities, whichever is higher, within that Sub-Division or Division as Restricted Airspace.

Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

You may be right... but....

"May" is used in every day language, and does not imply an obligation, its dictionary definition is "express possibility"

You may be entitled to a discount. 

You may have a cookie.

You may leave work early.

None of these sentences imply any sort of obligation to, a discount, cookie, or leaving early.

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Liesel Downes
Posted
Posted

I commonly hear people misusing "may" to express absolute certainty, so perhaps "can" could be better? I'm happy with "may" but whatever is easiest. 

Liesel Downes
she/her/hers

Lars Bergmann
Posted
Posted (edited)

According to the FAA (https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/plain_language/media/toolkit.pdf):

Must = mandatory
Must not = prohibited
May = optional
Should = recommended

According to EASA/EC (https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/styleguide_english_dgt_en.pdf):

Shall = Positive imperative (mandatory)
Shall not = Negative imperative (prohibited)
May = Positive permission (optional)
Should = recommended

If we were splitting hairs the may not part of that sentence is not in line with either of those guidelines.

A Sub-Division or Division may designate one or not more than 30% (rounded down) of all controllable aerodromes and terminal facilities, whichever is greater, within that Sub-Division or Division as Restricted Airspace.

I don't think it sounds better than than the current formulation, but it bypasses the may not part.

Edited by Lars Bergmann

Matisse VanWezer
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kirk Christie said:

You may have a cookie.

Did someone say cookies?

Streaming Brussels Control since 2018 on MatisseRAdar - Twitch to create time lapses on YouTube and TikTok