You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Why are low-level ATC slots often filled before higher-level ones?

Robert Alfieri

Robert Alfieri
Posted
Posted

One thing I often notice is that an airport will have Ground or even Clearance filled, but nothing else. Given the way VATSIM works, it seems that controllers would fill center, then approach, then tower, then ground, then clearance in order to maximize their utilization.

Can someone explain why it doesn't always work this way? Is it due to experience levels? Thanks.

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted

Within Dutch VACC, there are simply many more controllers who are qualified for the 'lower' positions than S3/C1 controllers. I think it is safe to assume that other subdivisions have a comparable roster.

This could explain your observation.

Martijn

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted

Hi Robert,

You are generally correct, that there are more people with "lower" ratings than people with "higher" ones so globally, by looking at some stats, there are simply more people to open GND/DEL/TWR positions that CTR positions. One other thing that I look for when deciding if to control and where to control is the coverage below me. As you said, topdown would mean that if I were to login to a CTR position, this would mean Ill cover everything below me. 

So then it's a judgement based on the number of pilots and controllers active. If I would be overloaded, this would be bad for everyone involved, so then the option is simply to not control or open a smaller position, like TWR, even though I may open CTR. I hope this makes sense.

NICK MARINOV
Assistant to the Vice President
Europe, Middle East and Africa
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick Marinov said:

so then the option is simply to not control

No, the first option is to reduce services at lower levels: no IFR clearances (DEL), no ground movement control (GND), no airport control (TWR), no arrival/departure control (APP). We are not supposed to be slaves of the system, we are supposed to use the system appropriately.

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted
Just now, Andreas Fuchs said:

No, the first option is to reduce services at lower levels: no IFR clearances (DEL), no ground movement control (GND), no airport control (TWR), no arrival/departure control (APP). We are not supposed to be slaves of the system, we are supposed to use the system appropriately.

And I'd rather do stuff properly than control a bigger sector and give poor service. Sometimes, this is inevitable, but if I can prevent a 💩-storm on my frequency and not diving clearances only to find that the route was wrong and it's causing me more troubles once the A/C is airborne, before it all happens by judging from the present situation, I'd rather log on to a smaller sector/lower position.

• Haha 1

NICK MARINOV
Assistant to the Vice President
Europe, Middle East and Africa
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

never mind

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
someone covered my point already

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Magnus Meese
Posted
Posted
On 11/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

If I understand you correctly, I disagree completely. If you can't provide the service required of the position, you should scale down to a less busy position. Obviously a clearance or taxi instruction can wait a minute or two when you're busy but coverage is defined by the position logged onto, not the person who logged on, so you can't just drop them completely.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

When I control CTR, I want to provide area control, primarily. I am happy to provide top-down services as long as possible, but when it gets too much, it gets too much and we need to protect the quality of ATC to our pilots. This reason warrants a reduction of services that are not part of "area control" and you obviously start reducing them at the lowest level. I had to do this on very few occasions only and it simply protects the quality of services. When I logon as CTR, I don't want to primarily control DEL/GND and I don't want to control TWR - I want to control CTR. It's better service to pilots departing on their own and then call CTR when airborne, than make them wait endlessly for no valid reason. In our cockpit environment we call this "airmanship", it's a sensible approach to things and it may just be a temporary measure, not for the entire session.

And: it has always been like this!

• Like 1

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted

Couple of times I have noticed this issue while waiting for Centre to have spare time to chat with me. I am listening endless IFR clearances and taxi instructions... But luckily these occurences have been rare.

• Like 1
ACH2118.jpg