You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Power drop out can really ruin your whole day!

Stephen Crockett

Stephen Crockett
Posted
Posted

So ... just commencing descent ... received approval ... and whammo ... power flickered ... then gone.

Apparently someone hit a power pole ... I promise it wasnt me :)

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Yep. We had a power pole trashed by a car just outside our front lawn last winter and it took Hydro One a day to replace the pole and restore power. After moving to Canada from Glasgow Scotland where power cuts were a very rare occurrence, we are now very used to them. Overhead wires are everywhere in rural Canada due, I believe, to underground cables being unusable because of ground heave in winter.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Roger Hanson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Overhead wires are everywhere in rural Canada due, I believe, to underground cables being unusable because of ground heave in winter.

More likely because U/G costs 10-20 times more than O/H and power company doesn't want to reduce their profits.

Regards, Rog Hanson

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Cynic! :)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Last year I moved from a suburban neighborhood built in the late 70s where power was all run underground, to a rural house built in the 30s where the electric comes from a pole off of lines that run through what is now heavily overgrown woods.  A windy day causes power to blink sometimes.  I invested a few hundred dollars in UPS units for my sim PC plus for the modem and router downstairs.  Painful outlay, but the piece of mind is worth it.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Lauri Uusitalo
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Alistair Thomson said:

Yep. We had a power pole trashed by a car just outside our front lawn last winter and it took Hydro One a day to replace the pole and restore power. After moving to Canada from Glasgow Scotland where power cuts were a very rare occurrence, we are now very used to them. Overhead wires are everywhere in rural Canada due, I believe, to underground cables being unusable because of ground heave in winter.

In Finland we are moving to underground cables due to storm damages. And we do have heave up to 2 meters, about 7 feet.

ACH2118.jpg