You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Returning Simmer trying to get grips with FS2020 weather

Ian Edwards

Ian Edwards
Posted
Posted

Hi.

I`m back to simming again after being away for some years.

Woke up this morning to snow on the ground, so I thought I`d switch on the sim, and take a look.

Disappointingly, no snow was depicted in the sim.

This has put me off doing a full Vatsim flight.

I`m aware Microsoft is working on the bugs, but to me, FS2020 is not ready yet to be taken seriously with online flying.

Am I wrong? 

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

More or less. You cannot rely on the weather completely yet, because MSFS is using grid weather data from "Meteoblue". In one of the last SimUpates they also included METAR data and in the next step they wanted to merge Meteoblue's weather data and METARs in the data stream that Meteoblue provides to MSFS, instead of MSFS trying to merge both pieces of data in the SIM. They still need a good amount of fine-tuning to get it right, but I guess they will get there, eventually. Unfortunately the developers will not open up the weather-interface of the SIM to allow professional programs like ActiveSky to do their job...

https://twinfinite.net/2021/09/microsoft-flight-simulator-sim-update-6/

Asobo is working with MeteoBlue to improve the injection of real-time weather data. Instead of having MeteoBlue’s data and METAR data interpolated by the simulator, MeteoBlue will directly include METARs into their own data.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Since the latest MSFS sim update, I have noticed some extremely harsh transitions between regions when it came to depicted winds and other atmospheric conditions.  Just the other night I had what felt like two midair collisions which really were just sudden wind changes.  So it's a work in progress on their end, for sure.

But I'm a bit surprised that a matter of whether the grass appears green or white should put you off completely from flying online.  To each their own, of course -- but for me, there's still quite a bit of entertainment and education value to be had, despite the digital world not yet being a perfect reproduction of the real one.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

Since the latest MSFS sim update, I have noticed some extremely harsh transitions between regions when it came to depicted winds and other atmospheric conditions.

Yes, this has become a common occurrence, everyone's talking about it in "my group".

Martijn Joon
Posted
Posted

Ive been doing some flights last couple of days in MSFS and while it’s certainly not perfect it seems to be pretty good in my opinion. Transitions are a bit hard sometimes but that’s just like the AS5? I think? Days, just did a first flight with the DC-6 and was flying constantly in clouds at 10k ft with rain and all kinds of stuff going on. 

In my opinion it’s pretty good but not yet perfect