You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Flying between regions

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

Being from the UK,  I registered for the UK/Europe region,  but I have seen flights between continents,  so I am assuming I am not limited to flying to other regions from my own, but I was wondering if it would be possible to fly for example interstate US,  or would I have to change my region, or stick to Europe/Africa.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

The world is your oyster! You can fly anywhere without worrying about being registered in one region. There are of course differences in emphasis and even in fact regarding procedures and practices in different parts of the world, but the local ATC will help you with that if necessary.

• Thanks 1

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted

Great, thanks.  I know the ATC in the US use slightly different terminology,  but I am sure I will get the hang of it. 🙂

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

File SIDs and STARs as part of your route, TA/TL is always 18,000/FL180, wait to switch from Tower to Departure until handed off, assume most ramp areas are uncontrolled, be ready to accept a landing clearance even if you're not #1 in sequence for the runway, and listen out for your airline callsign in grouped form rather than individual digits.

Those are probably the biggest ones.  Otherwise there are some small terminology differences (drop the leading zero in a runway number, say point instead of decimal, give frequencies only out to the first two numbers after the decimal, assume all Ground frequencies are 121-point-something unless told otherwise, a few others I'm surely forgetting).

Of course, there are numerous other differences, but I think those are probably the most important ones.  I'm sure others will chime in with some others -- but don't get overwhelmed.  As you say, you can mostly figure it out on the go.

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr
added a couple more I just thought of.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png