You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

VID as Name

Lance Williams

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted (edited)

I could swear I knew two things:

1. You could use your Vatsim ID as your name, and;

2. You had 30 minutes to respond to a supervisor who private messaged you.

Today, flying in Seattle Airspace I was doing some TBM flights, logged into VATSIM and flying IFR. I was ready for ATC to call if they logged in, but nobody had been on for hours. As I approached KLMT, I had a minor, family emergency that took me away from the computer instantly. I came back about 10 minutes later to a barrage of PM's from Seattle Center and a Supervisor. Looking at the timestamps there were no messages older than 10 minutes. The supervisor texts were no older than 5 minutes. I disconnected instantly because I still had to deal with the minor emergency in my home.

Two hours later, I receive an email that I'm banned for 48 hours.

Can someone explain that? Oh the email said I was using an illegal name as "LOST" Well, actually I was simply using my Vatsim ID as my name (which I thought was ok) and LOST was my alternative airport. Is that a crime?

Edited by Lance Williams

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Hey Lance,

1) You are correct. According to CoC A4(b)(5) you are indeed allowed to use your CID in place of your real name. That said, I can see how your alternate airport could've led to confusion (since clients simply append it to the real name field), and I encourage you to reach back/reply to the email that got sent to you in order for it to be reviewed.

2) While CoC B3(b) allows pilots to leave their connection unattended for a maximum period of 30 minutes, this tends to be mainly in uncontrolled airspace, as in controlled airspace CoC B3(a) is given priority ("Pilots shall monitor their flights at all times. [...] This includes making prompt contact when requested to do so". Knowing that, and assuming you have no previous history of "being a bad boy" on the network, I encourage you once again to reply to the email you got and ask for clarification/review. You can also CC supervisors(at)vatsim.net.

Hope that helps,

• Like 1

Me.