You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New User - No Audio

robert young

robert young
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello. After setting up VPilot (using MSFS) exactly as required, I see controller text after connected, and I hear the "crunch" sound when someone transmits, but I hear absolutely zero voices. At GATWICK when sitting quietly on the ground in a remote corner of the airport after connecting as OBSERVER in order to learn the ropes, If I double clicked in this mode on a controller I persistently got this error: "Network Syntax Error".

So I connected again this time not in Observer mode, but did not file a plan (as per beginner advice) and again I hear the "crunch" transmit sounds but no voices. I have audio set correctly and double checked my settings. I do not have a mic set up yet - only speakers- while I learn the Vatsim system and the intention is to fly passively until I am sure I know what I'm doing.

Can anyone guess what might be going wrong? According to the manual it should not matter whether I connect as an observer or pilot and it should make no difference if I have only received audio set up. I should still be hearing voices.

I confirm I can see other Vatsim aircraft in the sim and see them also on Little Nav Map so I know I am definitely connected. The frequency numbers at the top right of app do not light up. I confirm I tuned into the correct available ground/tower etc frequencies on the aircraft. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Edited by robert young

• 3 weeks later...
Mike Teague
Posted
Posted (edited)

the crunch sound i think you are talking about is not voice. thats to indicate text messages on frequency.. so maybe nobody was actually talking

in the upper right of the vpilot window there should be COM1 and COM2 and the frequency should be white for inactive, cyan for active. i dont know if msfs is able to use both radios, but in p3d you can listen on both, transmit on one, etc. the RX (recieve) box should light up when someone transmits, TX (transmit) lights up when you transmit.

Edited by Mike Teague