You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

No hablo Espanol

David Jolly 877288

David Jolly 877288
Posted
Posted

I am starting a swing through S.A as part of developing some cargo routes for my VA. I flew into El Dorado last night, tuned in the CTR that was up (need to learn who controls where) and heard all Spanish. My Spanish is about non-existant, and I was hesitant to start in with English, not sure if it was spoken routinely by the controllers here. Is English a workable language here? I also need to start looking at the sites for airport information, many good charts at the colatc.org site, thank you.

If I come up on frequency with English, will it work for you? Off to Lima today...look for an "hablo Ingles" comment in the f/p...

Dave

Bruno Pinto 964946
Posted
Posted

I did fly through South America a lot and usually the controllers do speak english, if they not respond you by voice, what they would do is ask you to go text!

Cheers!

Bruno Pinto

VATME - OOMM - C3

atc1o.png

bannervf7kp9.jpg

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

yep... 99% of the time you'll find controllers who can make themselves understood in english. Although most of the local traffic is in the native language (spanish) most vACC's do encourage controllers to make themselves proficient in the english language, since it's the only legal alternative of communication when the pilot doesn't speak the local language.

Some controllers might not be eager to go on verbal english, but I'm pretty confident that all of us will be at least able to use text.

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png