You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Pop-up" IFR Clearance

Eric Dziura

Eric Dziura
Posted
Posted

Greetings,

I would like to know if the following is allowed on VATSIM:

I am flying offline and as I approach my destination I observe on, say, VatSpy, that there are ATC services available at my destination. I log on and connect to VATSIM with vPilot, use vPilot to file my flightplan, and then check in with ATC.

Thank you.

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted

Yes, you can do that, but remember that the controller needs to merge you into already existing traffic. So be very careful of where and when you do it. As a controller I would prefer you logon while still outside my airspace - it never nice suddenly to see a plane popping up in the middle of your screen. In the enroute section of the flight in a not too busy airspace, it's not a problem, but in restricted airspace like an approach sector, it might be.

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Martijn Rammeloo
Posted
Posted (edited)

Why not fly online in the first place? You may even 'attract' controllers to login, enhancing your experience.

Spawning in mid-air may cause 'interesting' situations, as Torben says.

Martijn

Edited by Martijn Rammeloo

Eric Dziura
Posted
Posted

Thank you both for your helpful replies.

5 hours ago, Torben Andersen said:

Yes, you can do that, but remember that the controller needs to merge you into already existing traffic. So be very careful of where and when you do it. As a controller I would prefer you logon while still outside my airspace - it never nice suddenly to see a plane popping up in the middle of your screen. In the enroute section of the flight in a not too busy airspace, it's not a problem, but in restricted airspace like an approach sector, it might be.

I would do this only with great care, and only at a location with little or no traffic. I would always try to spawn outside of the active airspace. In addition to VATSpy, I also use FSTramp, and as soon as I connect I am immediately able to see with good accuracy all a/c within 40nm of my position. If there was any conflict I would immediately disconnect.

5 hours ago, Martijn Rammeloo said:

Why not fly online in the first place? You may even 'attract' controllers to login, enhancing your experience.

Spawning in mid-air may cause 'interesting' situations, as Torben says.

Martijn

I fly online more than 95% of the time. Spawning during flight is only for occasional use. A couple of virtual airlines I fly for allow logging of flight time offline and for very long flights (6+ hours), I occasionally depart late at night with ATC, disconnect after reaching cruise, go to bed and then complete the arrival (online with ATC if available) in the morning. It would otherwise be difficult to find the time to complete very long flights.

Cheers!

• Like 1