You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

First impressions were ok..but 3 flights later...

John McMurdo

John McMurdo
Posted
Posted (edited)

So I was impressed with the model matching with xPilot,  but after 3 flights that's as far as my enthusiasm for it goes.  xSB had the occasional issue,  and by occasional I mean I might loose radio contact mid flight once in a while but nothing that a simple disconnect/reconnect wouldn't resolve.  It was not often enough to get me so frustrated to the point of thinking, is it worth me even trying to fly on VATSIM tonight?  On all 3 flights I lost radio contact at critical moments, on two of those I had to abandon my approach altogether and continue offline, on one occasion no matter how many times I tried reconnecting,  it made no difference,  and the other time xPilot closed altogether without warning.

I am running X-Plane 11 on Ubuntu 20.04 with the latest update of xPilot

I would post the log file here,  but after last nights shut down I just set it to record fatal errors,  just in case it closed again so I would hot have to scroll through hundreds of thousands of lines,  but on tonights log there was nothing out of the ordinary, I may just set it back to debug log mode.

Edit:  Just occurred to me next time I should probably try closing Xpilot altogether then try  restarting it.  Simple solutions like this just don't occur to me in critical situations though. Also can I say this post was made in the heat of the moment,  and realise xPilot is still in beta with ongoing developments so bound to be a few issues, I was just feeling a little frustrated.

Edited by John McMurdo