You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

"Accelerated" aircraft since Velocity release/Spurious TCAS Warnings

Trevor Hannant

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

I've heard reports from others about aircraft that appear to be flying at supersonic speeds when they're, in fact, at a normal speed.   I've experienced this now on a few occasions while at cruise but only video captured this today:

The only traffic in the vicinity was one crossing which showed on VATSpy with a "normal" ground speed (sorry, didn't note the callsign or screenshot this...).

Additionally, I'm also getting random TCAS Alerts when there are no aircraft in the vicinity.   I've flown past a number of aircraft with TCAS behaving normally (they've also shown at the correct speed) but occasionally a random alert is thrown up, perhaps due to a "fast moving" target?:

While the videos show this in the PMDG 737, I've also experienced this in the FSL A320 series and only since the network upgrade/release of new pilot clients.

Anyone else seen this or figured out a potential reasoning for this?

Trevor Hannant

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted

OK, now found a topic on another forum suggesting this is a Swift/xPilot client issue - but haven't seen this here.  Apologies if this is double posting on the issue...

Trevor Hannant

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

We're trying to narrow down where the faulty aircraft velocity data are coming from. When you see this happen, if you can, grab the callsign of the aircraft. Ideally if you could report it in the VATSIM discord in the #velocity-bug-reports channel, and @ tag me or another developer, we can look into it in real time.

• Thanks 1

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Torben Andersen
Posted
Posted (edited)

It also happens with vPilot. Unfortunately the servers were unreliable so no data from vatspy. I also notized a grid/girder like pattern along the track of the UFO. The UFO flew across my track over southern Sweden (app. 1940z) and a little later parallel with my track. Only traffic in the vicinity was FIN2EG, but showed up independently of the UFO.

P3Dv4.5, Prosim B738, vPilot, Win10

Edited by Torben Andersen

Torben Andersen, VACC-SCA Controller (C1)

Trevor Hannant
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Torben Andersen said:

It also happens with vPilot.

I think the inference is that it's the affected clients sending the data to the network rather than the reading of it 

Trevor Hannant

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Regarding swift, there seems to be a bug in one of the first versions for Velocity. A new version has been deployed and the faulty version(s) will be forcefully retired in due time.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I've narrowed this down a bit, after seeing it for myself in UK today. It's a problem with vPilot's handling of position data outside of the 11 NM fast-update range. I have a fix in mind that I will be testing.

• Like 2

Ethan MacAleese
Posted
Posted

Good to hear, I've had this issue on almost every flight I've done since the velocity update. The Dulles event made my TCAS go nuts lol.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This is fixed in vPilot 3.0.7.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1