You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Callsign to livery?

Julian Ponsard

Julian Ponsard
Posted
Posted

Is the callsign connected to the livery?

What I mean by this is that does having a certain callsign show a different livery for people connected to the server.

For example: If I spawn in with a UAL livery, and connect to the server with a AAL callsign, will the people around me see a plane with the United logo in it or the American logo.

I'm asking this because I just got the Aerosoft a320/a321 package, but the livery manager doesn't work so my liveries are limited to the TAP, Airbus, and Aerosoft liveries.

Brad Littlejohn
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Julian Ponsard said:

Is the callsign connected to the livery?

What I mean by this is that does having a certain callsign show a different livery for people connected to the server.

For example: If I spawn in with a UAL livery, and connect to the server with a AAL callsign, will the people around me see a plane with the United logo in it or the American logo.

I'm asking this because I just got the Aerosoft a320/a321 package, but the livery manager doesn't work so my liveries are limited to the TAP, Airbus, and Aerosoft liveries.

It should be tied to the callsign, not the livery you see in your sim. the client is what is transmitting your aircraft type and company of the airline, related to the callsign you are using when you sign onto the network. If I am using a B39M in my sim, and the only livery I have is the SWA livery, but I sign on using a UAL callsign, a livery matching UAL with that aircraft type should so up in that other user's sim. Last I remember, a database of such types should be installed along with the client you are using. Ross should be able to confirm that, but I believe that is how it has been.

BL.

Brad Littlejohn

ZLA Senior Controller

Julian Ponsard
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Brad Littlejohn said:

It should be tied to the callsign, not the livery you see in your sim. the client is what is transmitting your aircraft type and company of the airline, related to the callsign you are using when you sign onto the network. If I am using a B39M in my sim, and the only livery I have is the SWA livery, but I sign on using a UAL callsign, a livery matching UAL with that aircraft type should so up in that other user's sim. Last I remember, a database of such types should be installed along with the client you are using. Ross should be able to confirm that, but I believe that is how it has been.

BL.

That makes great sense, thanks for the help!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

It depends on the client. For example, with vPilot, your callsign prefix (airline code) is what determines the livery others see you with. If you're using swift, I believe you can specify the livery when you connect. I plan to update vPilot to work similarly.

• Like 2

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• 3 months later...
Kevin Townsend
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2022 at 12:25 AM, Ross Carlson said:

It depends on the client. For example, with vPilot, your callsign prefix (airline code) is what determines the livery others see you with. If you're using swift, I believe you can specify the livery when you connect. I plan to update vPilot to work similarly.

Hi Ross. I hate to nag, but have you been able to look into the vPilot Model Matching system?

I ask this, as I previously had great success in msfs2020 prior to Update 9.
I have a large collection of aircraft liveries, in 2 libraries (IVAO CSL and aig)
I have a collection of 10 .vmr files (currently installed is the latest AVGeek plus airlines.
I have previously run the aig manager, and Model Matching Magic.
Model Matching Magic reports over 4000 aircraft liveries in the Community/aig-airtraffic-oci-beta folder.

I only see a fraction of real liveries in sim, with 80%+ in generic unbranded colours.

Are you able to describe where I may be at fault in my setup?

Best wishes

The only time you have too much fuel onboard is when you're on fire!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently made an update to vPilot that may fix this ... what version are you running?

Try running version 3.4.0, which is available in the Beta updates channel.

Edited by Ross Carlson

Andrew McCabe
Posted
Posted

Myself and a few others in my VA had similar issues a few weeks ago even when running the latest version of vPilot.  However, uninstalling and reinstalling vPilot resolved the matching problem.  No idea why, but it worked.

Kevin Townsend
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

I recently made an update to vPilot that may fix this ... what version are you running?

Try running version 3.4.0, which is available in the Beta updates channel.

That is much better. Thank you so much Ross.
In order to get my file structure correct, can you explain what files are in use by vPilot (the AIG structure, or the ivao .dds files? I have both)
Thanks again.

Edited by Kevin Townsend

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Kevin Townsend said:

In order to get my file structure correct, can you explain what files are in use by vPilot (the AIG structure, or the ivao .dds files? I have both)

I'm not quite sure what you're asking ... vPilot just scans the files in your community folder. If you have the file structure correct for MSFS, it's correct for vPilot.

Kevin Townsend
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking ... vPilot just scans the files in your community folder. If you have the file structure correct for MSFS, it's correct for vPilot.

Well, therein lies the problem. I have over 4000 aircraft spread across the aig and ivao databases in my Community folder, but vPilot, on load, only sees 348 of them.
Obviously I'd like to maximise the liveries seen when connected to Vatsim.
I still have many red lines for liveries not found.
I have tried to discover how msfs2020 handles these things but as usual Asobo/MS aren't very helpful...
Thanks for your direction so far

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the models aren't installed correctly. Your best bet would be to seek help from AIG.